Sha Money XL, Island Def Jam’s Senior VP of A&R, took some time out of this day to impart wisdom on some aspiring musicians from Jay-Z’s old middle school in Brooklyn. The students from IS 318 ages 11 to 15 met the executive at the SAE Institute, a world-renowned audio engineering school. The founder of G-Unit records told the children about how he started out playing piano as a pre-teen.
“I was once like ya’ll wanting to be in music…I tried to rap but I needed beats,” he said. “No one had beats for me so I started making music. But I realized my calling wasn’t to be a rapper. Thanks to the piano lessons I knew chord progressions and added what we learned in hip-hop and I became a producer.”
Sha also shared the story of meeting the late Jam Master Jayand how the legend introduced him to 50 Cent. After the talk some of the students performed songs that they’d prepared for Sha to critique.
“I’m inspired by their hunger,” he said afterward. “I learned a lot from the questions they asked. It goes both ways.”
1. In 2015, Miley Cyrus revealed that she identifies as sexually fluid, telling Paper magazine, “I am literally open to every single thing that is consenting and doesn’t involve an animal and everyone is of age.”
1 of 12
2. Ricky Martin shocked the world when he came out as gay in 2010. The father of two once revealed, “I know that I like both men and women, I’m against sexual labels.”
2 of 12
3. After photos surfaced of her making out with Michelle Rodriguez, Cara Delevingne came clean about her bisexuality, saying, “It took me a long time to accept the idea, until I first fell in love with a girl at 20 and recognized that I had to accept it.”
3 of 12
4. Frank Ocean captivated the world with his songs about love and women. When he opened up about his experience falling in love with a guy, he garnered the attention of many more.
4 of 12
5. Lady Gaga has been open about her sexuality since the beginning of her career. After naysayers claimed it was all for marketing, she said, “This is who I am and who I have always been.”
5 of 12
6. After coming under fire for using the F bomb multiple times on social media, Azealia Banks defended herself, saying “I can’t be homophobic. I’m bisexual.”
6 of 12
7. Amber Rose has never been shy about her sexuality. She even openly admitted to being in a relationship with a girl, way before her Kanye days.
7 of 12
8. David Bowie was one of the most notable artists of all time, whose sexuality and gender bent all of the traditional rules.
8 of 12
9. Mel B once revealed that she was in a four-year relationship with a woman before.
9 of 12
10. In 2013, Zoe Saldana said that she “might end up with a woman raising my children. I’ve been attracted to the male species, but if one day I wake up and want to be with a woman, I will do that because it is my life, therefore it is my decision.”
10 of 12
11. Megan Fox told Esquire Magazine once, “I have no question in my mind about being bisexual.”
11 of 12
12. Angelina Jolie has always been open about her bisexuality. She once told OK Magazine, “I have loved women in the past and slept with them.”
12 of 12
Continue reading Sha Money XL Speaks To Music Students About Record Business
BIVISIBILITY: These Stars Are Bisexual & Proud
Today is “Celebrate Bisexuality Day,” check out a bunch of celebs who have identified as bisexual.