Marion “Christopher” Barry Jr., the son of the late Washington, D.C. mayor Marion Barry, Sr., has died at age 36 from a suspected drug overdose. He was reportedly pronounced dead after being rushed to a nearby hospital.
It’s been reported that, like his father, Barry Jr. has long struggled with addiction issues. After getting arrested in 2011 for PCP and marijuana possession, Barry confessed in court that he had been “self-medicating” following the death of his mother, Effi Slaughter Barry, in 2007. He also faced charges for resisting arrest and driving under the influence.
Despite his troubles, Barry Jr. also had dreams of following his father’s political footsteps as well, attempting to run for a D.C. Ward 8 council seat.
Barry’s father was an accomplished politician, but sadly his reputation is tied to a 1990 drug bust where the mayor was caught on video smoking crack cocaine. Barry Sr. reemerged as a figure in D.C. politics, again, becoming the district’s mayor in 1995 and passed away in November 2014, at the age of 78. His father’s death motivated Berry Jr.’s 2015 Council run, where finished in sixth place in a special election.
Barry Jr is survived by his wife, Cora Masters Barry, who confirmed the sad news to NBC Washington.
1. In 2015, Miley Cyrus revealed that she identifies as sexually fluid, telling Paper magazine, “I am literally open to every single thing that is consenting and doesn’t involve an animal and everyone is of age.”
1 of 12
2. Ricky Martin shocked the world when he came out as gay in 2010. The father of two once revealed, “I know that I like both men and women, I’m against sexual labels.”
2 of 12
3. After photos surfaced of her making out with Michelle Rodriguez, Cara Delevingne came clean about her bisexuality, saying, “It took me a long time to accept the idea, until I first fell in love with a girl at 20 and recognized that I had to accept it.”
3 of 12
4. Frank Ocean captivated the world with his songs about love and women. When he opened up about his experience falling in love with a guy, he garnered the attention of many more.
4 of 12
5. Lady Gaga has been open about her sexuality since the beginning of her career. After naysayers claimed it was all for marketing, she said, “This is who I am and who I have always been.”
5 of 12
6. After coming under fire for using the F bomb multiple times on social media, Azealia Banks defended herself, saying “I can’t be homophobic. I’m bisexual.”
6 of 12
7. Amber Rose has never been shy about her sexuality. She even openly admitted to being in a relationship with a girl, way before her Kanye days.
7 of 12
8. David Bowie was one of the most notable artists of all time, whose sexuality and gender bent all of the traditional rules.
8 of 12
9. Mel B once revealed that she was in a four-year relationship with a woman before.
9 of 12
10. In 2013, Zoe Saldana said that she “might end up with a woman raising my children. I’ve been attracted to the male species, but if one day I wake up and want to be with a woman, I will do that because it is my life, therefore it is my decision.”
10 of 12
11. Megan Fox told Esquire Magazine once, “I have no question in my mind about being bisexual.”
11 of 12
12. Angelina Jolie has always been open about her bisexuality. She once told OK Magazine, “I have loved women in the past and slept with them.”
12 of 12
Continue reading Son Of Former D.C. Mayor Marion Barry Dies Of Apparent Drug Overdose
BIVISIBILITY: These Stars Are Bisexual & Proud
Today is “Celebrate Bisexuality Day,” check out a bunch of celebs who have identified as bisexual.