If you ask most couples who have been married for a long period of time, most will tell you that in order to remain in a successful marriage you have to be prepared to weather the storms that come with it. Will Smith and wife Jada Pinkett-Smith have been married almost 20 years, and now the actor is opening up to reveal that it hasn’t been all smooth sailing.
Source: Imeh Akpanudosen / Getty
While doing press and promoting his current film, the box-office smash Suicide Squad, Will Smith spoke about his marriage to actress Jada Pinkett-Smith. He admitted that there were definitely dark periods in their marriage, but they managed to work through their issues by undergoing intense couples therapy.
Cosmopolitan UK via The Sun has all of the details. Some of the highlights of the in-depth interview are below:
[Will Smith]: “I’ve done a lot of marriage counselling. What happens in a marriage once you do counselling, the truth comes out. And you sit across from your wife and you’ve said all of your truth and she has said all of her truth. You look at each other and you can’t imagine you could ever possibly love each other again now the truth is out. It creates a dark moment. But for me it’s the dark before the dawn.
“When the truth comes out and people have to say who they are and what they think, you get to know who they are. I think that’s the cleansing before you get to the other side that is understanding and moving forward in our relationship.”
Will added that his wife of 19 years has magical powers.”Jada is magical. Part of why I love her is things happen in a way they shouldn’t happen, they shouldn’t go that way. She has this magical power.”
Relationships take a lot of hard work and dedication, especially in this day and time when couples seem so quick to throw in the towel at the first sign of trouble. Kudos to Will and Jada for remaining committed to their marriage and we wish them many more years of happiness!
1. In 2015, Miley Cyrus revealed that she identifies as sexually fluid, telling Paper magazine, “I am literally open to every single thing that is consenting and doesn’t involve an animal and everyone is of age.”
1 of 12
2. Ricky Martin shocked the world when he came out as gay in 2010. The father of two once revealed, “I know that I like both men and women, I’m against sexual labels.”
2 of 12
3. After photos surfaced of her making out with Michelle Rodriguez, Cara Delevingne came clean about her bisexuality, saying, “It took me a long time to accept the idea, until I first fell in love with a girl at 20 and recognized that I had to accept it.”
3 of 12
4. Frank Ocean captivated the world with his songs about love and women. When he opened up about his experience falling in love with a guy, he garnered the attention of many more.
4 of 12
5. Lady Gaga has been open about her sexuality since the beginning of her career. After naysayers claimed it was all for marketing, she said, “This is who I am and who I have always been.”
5 of 12
6. After coming under fire for using the F bomb multiple times on social media, Azealia Banks defended herself, saying “I can’t be homophobic. I’m bisexual.”
6 of 12
7. Amber Rose has never been shy about her sexuality. She even openly admitted to being in a relationship with a girl, way before her Kanye days.
7 of 12
8. David Bowie was one of the most notable artists of all time, whose sexuality and gender bent all of the traditional rules.
8 of 12
9. Mel B once revealed that she was in a four-year relationship with a woman before.
9 of 12
10. In 2013, Zoe Saldana said that she “might end up with a woman raising my children. I’ve been attracted to the male species, but if one day I wake up and want to be with a woman, I will do that because it is my life, therefore it is my decision.”
10 of 12
11. Megan Fox told Esquire Magazine once, “I have no question in my mind about being bisexual.”
11 of 12
12. Angelina Jolie has always been open about her bisexuality. She once told OK Magazine, “I have loved women in the past and slept with them.”
12 of 12
Continue reading Will Smith Opens Up About Attending Intense Couples Therapy To Save Marriage To Jada Pinkett-Smith
BIVISIBILITY: These Stars Are Bisexual & Proud
Today is “Celebrate Bisexuality Day,” check out a bunch of celebs who have identified as bisexual.