Despite killing a registered gun owner during what should have been a routine traffic stop, 28-year-old officer Jeronimo Yanez is being portrayed as the good guy.
In an interview with Associated Press, St. Anthony Police Chief Jon Mangseth spoke highly of the officer that killed Philando Castile as he sat in the car with his girlfriend and her 5-year-old daughter. “[Officer Yanez] has a real sound ability when it comes to communicating and relating to people,” said Mangseth. “He showed me that he could shine in the public eye.”
Though the department vehemently denies the shooting was connected to racial bias, he is feeling the pressure of St. Anthony being under the public microscope. “There’s been no time in my career where we’ve ever had this type of dynamic at work, this national stage, so to speak,” said Mangseth. He continues, “This has put [Yanez] and his family front and center in our metro area, not to mention the nation.”
Yanez pulled over Castile on July 6th for a broken taillight. Castile disclosed to the officers that he had a licensed weapon in the car, and as he reached for his identification, was shot by a panicked Yanez who claimed to see Castile reach for his gun. The gruesome aftermath of the shooting was streamed on Facebook Live by Castile’s girlfriend. No immediate assistance was offered to Castile, who was later pronounced dead as a nearby hospital.
The young officer, placed on paid administrative leave after the shooting, is expected back on the job this week to handle clerical duties as the investigation of the killing continued.
Castile had a gun and a valid license to carry a firearm inside his car when he was pulled over for the 53rd time in 14 years. More than half the charges brought from those stops were dropped without prosecution.
1. In 2015, Miley Cyrus revealed that she identifies as sexually fluid, telling Paper magazine, “I am literally open to every single thing that is consenting and doesn’t involve an animal and everyone is of age.”
1 of 12
2. Ricky Martin shocked the world when he came out as gay in 2010. The father of two once revealed, “I know that I like both men and women, I’m against sexual labels.”
2 of 12
3. After photos surfaced of her making out with Michelle Rodriguez, Cara Delevingne came clean about her bisexuality, saying, “It took me a long time to accept the idea, until I first fell in love with a girl at 20 and recognized that I had to accept it.”
3 of 12
4. Frank Ocean captivated the world with his songs about love and women. When he opened up about his experience falling in love with a guy, he garnered the attention of many more.
4 of 12
5. Lady Gaga has been open about her sexuality since the beginning of her career. After naysayers claimed it was all for marketing, she said, “This is who I am and who I have always been.”
5 of 12
6. After coming under fire for using the F bomb multiple times on social media, Azealia Banks defended herself, saying “I can’t be homophobic. I’m bisexual.”
6 of 12
7. Amber Rose has never been shy about her sexuality. She even openly admitted to being in a relationship with a girl, way before her Kanye days.
7 of 12
8. David Bowie was one of the most notable artists of all time, whose sexuality and gender bent all of the traditional rules.
8 of 12
9. Mel B once revealed that she was in a four-year relationship with a woman before.
9 of 12
10. In 2013, Zoe Saldana said that she “might end up with a woman raising my children. I’ve been attracted to the male species, but if one day I wake up and want to be with a woman, I will do that because it is my life, therefore it is my decision.”
10 of 12
11. Megan Fox told Esquire Magazine once, “I have no question in my mind about being bisexual.”
11 of 12
12. Angelina Jolie has always been open about her bisexuality. She once told OK Magazine, “I have loved women in the past and slept with them.”
12 of 12
Continue reading Minnesota Police Chief Defends The Officer That Shot And Killed Philando Castile
BIVISIBILITY: These Stars Are Bisexual & Proud
Today is “Celebrate Bisexuality Day,” check out a bunch of celebs who have identified as bisexual.