The rivalry between Brandy and Monica may be real.
On Saturday a fan of Brandy asked her on social media if she would participate in the #SoGoneChallenge, a free-style challenge where people rap to Monica and Missy Elliot’s 2003 hit “So Gone”. In addition to Monica herself doing the challenge, it’s also been done by Dwyane Wade and Chance the Rapper.
“@4everbrandy Can you please do the Monica challenge”, the fan said. And Brandy simply responded with, “Chile bye.”
Rumors of these two being rivals have been swirling since their 1998 hit, “The Boy is Mine”, where they had a sing-off for the love of Mekhi Phifer (in the video). They addressed these rumors in 2015 after creating another song together, “It All Belongs to Me”.
“People are still asking, ‘Who was the boy?’ and ‘Who got the boy?’ There was no boy! It just was a song!” Monica said in an interview with HuffPost Live. “We played up the dramatics of it all, but I’m like, ‘Guys, we were 16 and 17.’ We’re 35 and 36 now. There was no boy and no beef… It started off as brilliant marketing and what started to happen was people started creating these skits and then our fans divided and it became this really real thing.”
Fast forward to yesterday, and they both have us confused.
In Brandy’s defense, she’s not a rapper, and really may not have been up to it. Nonetheless, on a positive note, Monica shut down haters in an Instagram post the same day.
“Still Working,” she says. “I couldn’t be more grateful.. Life will be filled with moments that you will never forget. The key to continuously being blessed is being aware of what you put out.. Negativity, envy, hate & jealousy are the key to an early demise.. What ever you spread amongst the world is sure to come back to you.. It’s up to you.”
1. In 2015, Miley Cyrus revealed that she identifies as sexually fluid, telling Paper magazine, “I am literally open to every single thing that is consenting and doesn’t involve an animal and everyone is of age.”
1 of 12
2. Ricky Martin shocked the world when he came out as gay in 2010. The father of two once revealed, “I know that I like both men and women, I’m against sexual labels.”
2 of 12
3. After photos surfaced of her making out with Michelle Rodriguez, Cara Delevingne came clean about her bisexuality, saying, “It took me a long time to accept the idea, until I first fell in love with a girl at 20 and recognized that I had to accept it.”
3 of 12
4. Frank Ocean captivated the world with his songs about love and women. When he opened up about his experience falling in love with a guy, he garnered the attention of many more.
4 of 12
5. Lady Gaga has been open about her sexuality since the beginning of her career. After naysayers claimed it was all for marketing, she said, “This is who I am and who I have always been.”
5 of 12
6. After coming under fire for using the F bomb multiple times on social media, Azealia Banks defended herself, saying “I can’t be homophobic. I’m bisexual.”
6 of 12
7. Amber Rose has never been shy about her sexuality. She even openly admitted to being in a relationship with a girl, way before her Kanye days.
7 of 12
8. David Bowie was one of the most notable artists of all time, whose sexuality and gender bent all of the traditional rules.
8 of 12
9. Mel B once revealed that she was in a four-year relationship with a woman before.
9 of 12
10. In 2013, Zoe Saldana said that she “might end up with a woman raising my children. I’ve been attracted to the male species, but if one day I wake up and want to be with a woman, I will do that because it is my life, therefore it is my decision.”
10 of 12
11. Megan Fox told Esquire Magazine once, “I have no question in my mind about being bisexual.”
11 of 12
12. Angelina Jolie has always been open about her bisexuality. She once told OK Magazine, “I have loved women in the past and slept with them.”
12 of 12
Continue reading Brandy Will Not Be Participating In The #SoGoneChallenge Anytime Soon
BIVISIBILITY: These Stars Are Bisexual & Proud
Today is “Celebrate Bisexuality Day,” check out a bunch of celebs who have identified as bisexual.