During Friday night’s NFL preseason game, 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick ignited a firestorm when he decided not to stand during the national anthem due to the unfair treatment of African-Americans in America.
The QB told reporters Sunday evening that he’s sticking to it and doesn’t plan on standing for the national anthem until changes are made.
“I’ll continue to sit,” Kaepernick said. “I’ll continue to stand with the people who are being oppressed. To me, this is something that has to change. When there’s significant change, and I feel like that flag represents what it’s supposed to represent, and this country is representing people the way it’s supposed to, I’ll stand.”
While many agree with his message, they question his method. Several other NFL players have spoken up about Kaepernick’s actions.
Giants running back Rashad Jenningsappreciates the freedom of speech in America, but he will always stand for the national anthem. “I would say that it’s nice to know that we live in a country where sitting down during the anthem won’t land you in jail or worse. But I personally choose to stand and honor the anthem for what I hold it to represent to me,” he said.
New York Giants wide receiver Victor Cruz wholeheartedly disagrees with Kaepernick and believes there’s no excuse for not respecting the flag. “I think, personally, the flag is the flag. Regardless of how you feel about the things that are going on in America today and the things that are going on across the world with gun violence and things like that. You’ve got to respect the flag and stand up with your teammates,” Cruz told USA Today.
The 49ers front office released a statement that reads in part: “We recognize the right of an individual to choose to participate, or not, in our celebration of the national anthem.”
This controversy comes at an odd time in the 49ers’ locker room, where Kaepernick’s $114 Million contract is looking a bit overpriced and he could be unloaded as quickly as the end of the season.
1. In 2015, Miley Cyrus revealed that she identifies as sexually fluid, telling Paper magazine, “I am literally open to every single thing that is consenting and doesn’t involve an animal and everyone is of age.”
1 of 12
2. Ricky Martin shocked the world when he came out as gay in 2010. The father of two once revealed, “I know that I like both men and women, I’m against sexual labels.”
2 of 12
3. After photos surfaced of her making out with Michelle Rodriguez, Cara Delevingne came clean about her bisexuality, saying, “It took me a long time to accept the idea, until I first fell in love with a girl at 20 and recognized that I had to accept it.”
3 of 12
4. Frank Ocean captivated the world with his songs about love and women. When he opened up about his experience falling in love with a guy, he garnered the attention of many more.
4 of 12
5. Lady Gaga has been open about her sexuality since the beginning of her career. After naysayers claimed it was all for marketing, she said, “This is who I am and who I have always been.”
5 of 12
6. After coming under fire for using the F bomb multiple times on social media, Azealia Banks defended herself, saying “I can’t be homophobic. I’m bisexual.”
6 of 12
7. Amber Rose has never been shy about her sexuality. She even openly admitted to being in a relationship with a girl, way before her Kanye days.
7 of 12
8. David Bowie was one of the most notable artists of all time, whose sexuality and gender bent all of the traditional rules.
8 of 12
9. Mel B once revealed that she was in a four-year relationship with a woman before.
9 of 12
10. In 2013, Zoe Saldana said that she “might end up with a woman raising my children. I’ve been attracted to the male species, but if one day I wake up and want to be with a woman, I will do that because it is my life, therefore it is my decision.”
10 of 12
11. Megan Fox told Esquire Magazine once, “I have no question in my mind about being bisexual.”
11 of 12
12. Angelina Jolie has always been open about her bisexuality. She once told OK Magazine, “I have loved women in the past and slept with them.”
12 of 12
Continue reading Colin Kaepernick Says He Will Continue To Sit During The National Anthem
BIVISIBILITY: These Stars Are Bisexual & Proud
Today is “Celebrate Bisexuality Day,” check out a bunch of celebs who have identified as bisexual.