Nicole Murphy has good reason to be incensed, after a friend swindled her out $11 million.
According to the Daily Mail, Troy David Stratos billed himself as a wealthy financial adviser and convinced his long-time friend Murphy to invest a large portion of her $15 million divorce settlement from Eddie Murphy, into an investment.
Instead he used the funds to finance his gambling habit and extravagant lifestyle.
Murphy gave Stratos millions in a trust account that also gave him full access to her personal finances, including real estate and jewelry. It was said on one occasion that he gave a $100 to a valet to park his car, when parking was free— just to show off his “bigger than life” bank account.
For the large sum of money, Stratos told the former model that he knew members of a Middle Eastern royal family interested in buying her home up for sale in Granite Bay, California. Convincing her to give him access to the home and lease luxury Rolls-Royce and BMW cars to make her property more attractive, he in-turn freeloaded in the 10-bedroom home and drove the cars.
The Daily Mail Notes: Troy David Stratos, 50, appeared before US District Judge Troy Nunley on Wednesday and entered guilty pleas to 11 counts of wire and mail fraud, two counts of money laundering, and one count of obstruction of justice. Stratos is scheduled to be sentenced on November 17. Following the hearing, attorney Tom Johnson said the guilty plea was in his client’s ‘best interests’ because if the case were to proceed, ‘it would have been a terribly difficult trial.’
“I’m glad to hopefully have this really bad chapter in my life coming to an end with Troy Stratos finally being held accountable for what he did to me and my family,” Murphy told Daily Mail. “Hopefully with his day in court, justice will prevail and Troy Stratos will never be able to take advantage of someone’s trust ever again.”
If convicted, Stratos faces up to 20 years in prison for the wire and mail fraud charges, and up to 10 years for the money laundering and obstruction of justice charges.
1. In 2015, Miley Cyrus revealed that she identifies as sexually fluid, telling Paper magazine, “I am literally open to every single thing that is consenting and doesn’t involve an animal and everyone is of age.”
1 of 12
2. Ricky Martin shocked the world when he came out as gay in 2010. The father of two once revealed, “I know that I like both men and women, I’m against sexual labels.”
2 of 12
3. After photos surfaced of her making out with Michelle Rodriguez, Cara Delevingne came clean about her bisexuality, saying, “It took me a long time to accept the idea, until I first fell in love with a girl at 20 and recognized that I had to accept it.”
3 of 12
4. Frank Ocean captivated the world with his songs about love and women. When he opened up about his experience falling in love with a guy, he garnered the attention of many more.
4 of 12
5. Lady Gaga has been open about her sexuality since the beginning of her career. After naysayers claimed it was all for marketing, she said, “This is who I am and who I have always been.”
5 of 12
6. After coming under fire for using the F bomb multiple times on social media, Azealia Banks defended herself, saying “I can’t be homophobic. I’m bisexual.”
6 of 12
7. Amber Rose has never been shy about her sexuality. She even openly admitted to being in a relationship with a girl, way before her Kanye days.
7 of 12
8. David Bowie was one of the most notable artists of all time, whose sexuality and gender bent all of the traditional rules.
8 of 12
9. Mel B once revealed that she was in a four-year relationship with a woman before.
9 of 12
10. In 2013, Zoe Saldana said that she “might end up with a woman raising my children. I’ve been attracted to the male species, but if one day I wake up and want to be with a woman, I will do that because it is my life, therefore it is my decision.”
10 of 12
11. Megan Fox told Esquire Magazine once, “I have no question in my mind about being bisexual.”
11 of 12
12. Angelina Jolie has always been open about her bisexuality. She once told OK Magazine, “I have loved women in the past and slept with them.”
12 of 12
Continue reading Nicole Murphy’s High School ‘Friend’ Swindled Her Out Of Millions Of Dollars
BIVISIBILITY: These Stars Are Bisexual & Proud
Today is “Celebrate Bisexuality Day,” check out a bunch of celebs who have identified as bisexual.