President Barack Obamacanceled a meeting with the president of the Philippines after President Rodrigo Duterte recently called him a “son of a b***h.”
Yes, he tried it.
Duterte’s outrageous comments came after the White House announced that Obama would be asking Duterte about the extrajudicial killings of drug dealers in the Phillipines, USA Today wrote. Apparently, more than 2,000 suspected drug users and dealers have died in the Asian country since Duterte took office a mere two months ago.
“Who does he think he is? I am no American puppet. I am the president of a sovereign country and I am not answerable to anyone except the Filipino people,” Duterte responded in a speech Monday. “Son of a b***h, I will swear at you.”
POTUS being classy, calm and unbothered, said “Clearly he’s a colorful guy.” But he was also clear: He wasn’t going to waste his time meeting with Duterte either, NPR pointed out.“I always want to make sure if I’m having a meeting that it’s actually productive,” Obama added.
White House cancels Obama's meeting with Philippines President Rodrigo Duterte after Duterte's controversial remarks https://t.co/RFN4Ht5KfK
The cancellation later prompted the Philippines leader to dial back his tone, explaining that he snapped because he felt that the U.S. was “throwing stones at glass houses.” He also issued a formal apology to try to smooth things over with one of his county’s biggest allies.
“We … regret [the remarks] came across as a personal attack on the U.S. president.While the immediate cause was my strong comments to certain press questions that elicited concern and distress, we also regret it came across as a personal attack on the U.S. president. Our primary intention is to chart an independent foreign policy while promoting closer ties with all nations, especially the U.S. with which we have had a long-standing partnership,” Duterte wrote in a statement.
Upon arriving at Vientiane, Laos, for a summit of Southeast Asian nations where POTUS will also be attending, Duterte stressed, “I do not want to quarrel with him. He’s the most powerful president of any country on the planet.“
1. In 2015, Miley Cyrus revealed that she identifies as sexually fluid, telling Paper magazine, “I am literally open to every single thing that is consenting and doesn’t involve an animal and everyone is of age.”
1 of 12
2. Ricky Martin shocked the world when he came out as gay in 2010. The father of two once revealed, “I know that I like both men and women, I’m against sexual labels.”
2 of 12
3. After photos surfaced of her making out with Michelle Rodriguez, Cara Delevingne came clean about her bisexuality, saying, “It took me a long time to accept the idea, until I first fell in love with a girl at 20 and recognized that I had to accept it.”
3 of 12
4. Frank Ocean captivated the world with his songs about love and women. When he opened up about his experience falling in love with a guy, he garnered the attention of many more.
4 of 12
5. Lady Gaga has been open about her sexuality since the beginning of her career. After naysayers claimed it was all for marketing, she said, “This is who I am and who I have always been.”
5 of 12
6. After coming under fire for using the F bomb multiple times on social media, Azealia Banks defended herself, saying “I can’t be homophobic. I’m bisexual.”
6 of 12
7. Amber Rose has never been shy about her sexuality. She even openly admitted to being in a relationship with a girl, way before her Kanye days.
7 of 12
8. David Bowie was one of the most notable artists of all time, whose sexuality and gender bent all of the traditional rules.
8 of 12
9. Mel B once revealed that she was in a four-year relationship with a woman before.
9 of 12
10. In 2013, Zoe Saldana said that she “might end up with a woman raising my children. I’ve been attracted to the male species, but if one day I wake up and want to be with a woman, I will do that because it is my life, therefore it is my decision.”
10 of 12
11. Megan Fox told Esquire Magazine once, “I have no question in my mind about being bisexual.”
11 of 12
12. Angelina Jolie has always been open about her bisexuality. She once told OK Magazine, “I have loved women in the past and slept with them.”
12 of 12
Continue reading President Obama Cancels Meeting With Philippines President For Calling Him a ‘Son Of A B***h’
BIVISIBILITY: These Stars Are Bisexual & Proud
Today is “Celebrate Bisexuality Day,” check out a bunch of celebs who have identified as bisexual.