It’s hard to believe that it’s only been a few months since Michael Strahan’s controversial exit from Live! because so much drama has happened since then. There was Kelly Ripa’s initial reaction, which included her taking some days off from her hosting gig and being livid over being blindsided, Strahan quickly accepting a new job with Good Morning America and the quest for a new permanent host that has yet to be filled. Throw in some interviews from both former co-workers and it’s been a pretty rocky summer.
Michael Strahan is the latest cover story for People magazine and in it he gives all the details about leaving his position at Live!, loving his new position at Good Morning America and where his relationship with Kelly Ripa stands today. E! Online has all the specifics of the in-depth interview.
Via E! Online:
[On Kelly Ripa]: [After the noticeable onscreen tension once he announced his exit] Strahan left Live! early at executives’ request. “I wasn’t surprised by her reaction at all, but I can’t control somebody else’s actions,” Strahan confesses. “I was there four years, and it’s about more than just being in front of the camera.”
Regarding the fallout from his exit, the former NFL player confesses, “The most disappointing thing to me was that I was painted as the bad guy, because I value the way I carry myself. I don’t want people to see me as ‘Oh, he just ran out, just left them there.’ That’s just not true.”
Even now, Strahan isn’t sure what to make of his relationship with Ripa. “At one point I think we were friends. I don’t know what happened at the end,” he says. “I learned a lot from her, though.” Toward the end, he says, they “didn’t really communicate” as much as they once had. “I kinda looked at it like, ‘It was what it was,’” he explains. “I come from a business where you have to collaborate. The show was going well? We’re all winning. That’s all that matters to me.”
To read the full cover on Michael Strahan, you can pick up the latest issue of People magazine on newsstands Friday. Surely both Strahan and Ripa will be fine in their current roles, now that their friendship is over they can hopefully move on.
Check out more Michael Strahan here:
Michael Strahan Says He Doesn’t Miss ‘Live’ In New Interview
Also On Hot 107.9:
BIVISIBILITY: These Stars Are Bisexual & Proud
12 photos Launch gallery
1. In 2015, Miley Cyrus revealed that she identifies as sexually fluid, telling Paper magazine, “I am literally open to every single thing that is consenting and doesn’t involve an animal and everyone is of age.”
1 of 12
2. Ricky Martin shocked the world when he came out as gay in 2010. The father of two once revealed, “I know that I like both men and women, I’m against sexual labels.”
2 of 12
3. After photos surfaced of her making out with Michelle Rodriguez, Cara Delevingne came clean about her bisexuality, saying, “It took me a long time to accept the idea, until I first fell in love with a girl at 20 and recognized that I had to accept it.”
3 of 12
4. Frank Ocean captivated the world with his songs about love and women. When he opened up about his experience falling in love with a guy, he garnered the attention of many more.
4 of 12
5. Lady Gaga has been open about her sexuality since the beginning of her career. After naysayers claimed it was all for marketing, she said, “This is who I am and who I have always been.”
5 of 12
6. After coming under fire for using the F bomb multiple times on social media, Azealia Banks defended herself, saying “I can’t be homophobic. I’m bisexual.”
6 of 12
7. Amber Rose has never been shy about her sexuality. She even openly admitted to being in a relationship with a girl, way before her Kanye days.
7 of 12
8. David Bowie was one of the most notable artists of all time, whose sexuality and gender bent all of the traditional rules.
8 of 12
9. Mel B once revealed that she was in a four-year relationship with a woman before.
9 of 12
10. In 2013, Zoe Saldana said that she “might end up with a woman raising my children. I’ve been attracted to the male species, but if one day I wake up and want to be with a woman, I will do that because it is my life, therefore it is my decision.”
10 of 12
11. Megan Fox told Esquire Magazine once, “I have no question in my mind about being bisexual.”
11 of 12
12. Angelina Jolie has always been open about her bisexuality. She once told OK Magazine, “I have loved women in the past and slept with them.”
12 of 12