In a excerpt from her upcoming memoir Around The Way Girl, Taraji opens up about the domestic abuse she suffered at the hands of her son’s late father, Mark Johnson.
“The next thing I knew, Mark’s balled-up fist was coming straight for my face. I fell onto the bed crying and holding my mouth; blood seeped off my lips and across my teeth,” Taraji writes in the book. “Droplets splashed across my shoes … slowly creeping into the fibers of my suede boots.”
Shocked by the blow, Taraji immediately ended the relationship. “This is over! Get your s–t and get out!,” she yells at him.
The last time she saw Johnson was at Christmas when he came to visit her and their son Marcell, who was 9 at the time.
The father and son played Tic-Tac-Toe — and when the Marcell lost, Johnson “put his hand on his shoulder and schooled him,” she writes.
He told him, “use your head, black man,” Henson says of the touching moment.
Three weeks later, Johnson’s mother called her with the news that William had been stabbed to death during an altercation with a couple at an apartment in Washington D.C. He was 34 years old.
You can pre-order your copy of Taraji’s new book right now on Amazon.
1. In 2015, Miley Cyrus revealed that she identifies as sexually fluid, telling Paper magazine, “I am literally open to every single thing that is consenting and doesn’t involve an animal and everyone is of age.”
1 of 12
2. Ricky Martin shocked the world when he came out as gay in 2010. The father of two once revealed, “I know that I like both men and women, I’m against sexual labels.”
2 of 12
3. After photos surfaced of her making out with Michelle Rodriguez, Cara Delevingne came clean about her bisexuality, saying, “It took me a long time to accept the idea, until I first fell in love with a girl at 20 and recognized that I had to accept it.”
3 of 12
4. Frank Ocean captivated the world with his songs about love and women. When he opened up about his experience falling in love with a guy, he garnered the attention of many more.
4 of 12
5. Lady Gaga has been open about her sexuality since the beginning of her career. After naysayers claimed it was all for marketing, she said, “This is who I am and who I have always been.”
5 of 12
6. After coming under fire for using the F bomb multiple times on social media, Azealia Banks defended herself, saying “I can’t be homophobic. I’m bisexual.”
6 of 12
7. Amber Rose has never been shy about her sexuality. She even openly admitted to being in a relationship with a girl, way before her Kanye days.
7 of 12
8. David Bowie was one of the most notable artists of all time, whose sexuality and gender bent all of the traditional rules.
8 of 12
9. Mel B once revealed that she was in a four-year relationship with a woman before.
9 of 12
10. In 2013, Zoe Saldana said that she “might end up with a woman raising my children. I’ve been attracted to the male species, but if one day I wake up and want to be with a woman, I will do that because it is my life, therefore it is my decision.”
10 of 12
11. Megan Fox told Esquire Magazine once, “I have no question in my mind about being bisexual.”
11 of 12
12. Angelina Jolie has always been open about her bisexuality. She once told OK Magazine, “I have loved women in the past and slept with them.”
12 of 12
Continue reading Taraji P. Henson Opens Up About Domestic Abuse In Her New Memoir
BIVISIBILITY: These Stars Are Bisexual & Proud
Today is “Celebrate Bisexuality Day,” check out a bunch of celebs who have identified as bisexual.