Young M.A. is changing the game. Sure, there have been other great females emcees who can actually spit real bars like Remy Ma, Nicki Minaj, Rah Digga, MC Lyte and more, but Young M.A. is different.
During her latest interview on Vice’s Noisey she touches on what’s so different about her, “To hear a female talking about things that go on around them or things that she’s been through it’s kind of new for people because now you hear chicks and it’s about popping they pussy or shaking they ass for cash. So to hear my side of the story it’s like wow.”
While it is not new, because Lauryn Hill rapped about her life and other things besides sex, most female rappers lean more towards sexual content. So when it comes to hip-hop and Young M.A. this isn’t a Sprite commercial so image is everything. Her image adds to her persona, it adds to her skill, it makes everything she spits better, more authentic and easier to groove to.
Did the women that came before her, raise the bar high enough for her? I’m not sure, because if there was a top ten of female rappers would all of the names on the list be worthy to be on a top ten list? Did they write their own rhymes, do they have a catalog worthy to all time greatest, did they change the game?
The most I think about it the more I can’t help but question are there 10 female emcees dope enough to be on a top ten list. The greatest female emcee of all time, Lauryn Hill, has one solo album, so can she really be the greatest?
A few people shared their Top 10 female emcees with me on twitter:
LIL KIM 10 FOIS lol Lil Kim Foxy Brown Missy Elliott Da Brat Eve Lauryn Hill Trina Remy Ma Diams Left Eye https://t.co/woNIFmffmL
All these list are the reason why Young M.A. is so interesting to me because all I see is potential. She can easily replace any name on the list and there not be a question about it. All I’m hearing from her is fire and hot joints. Its like when Tiger Woods first got into golf and we thought he would never lose.
While time will only tell what the future holds for Young M.A. but in my humble opinion she’s raise the bar for females emcees who plan on putting out any music after today. Oooouuuu.
Check out her latest freestyle over the Quiet Storm beat.
1. In 2015, Miley Cyrus revealed that she identifies as sexually fluid, telling Paper magazine, “I am literally open to every single thing that is consenting and doesn’t involve an animal and everyone is of age.”
1 of 12
2. Ricky Martin shocked the world when he came out as gay in 2010. The father of two once revealed, “I know that I like both men and women, I’m against sexual labels.”
2 of 12
3. After photos surfaced of her making out with Michelle Rodriguez, Cara Delevingne came clean about her bisexuality, saying, “It took me a long time to accept the idea, until I first fell in love with a girl at 20 and recognized that I had to accept it.”
3 of 12
4. Frank Ocean captivated the world with his songs about love and women. When he opened up about his experience falling in love with a guy, he garnered the attention of many more.
4 of 12
5. Lady Gaga has been open about her sexuality since the beginning of her career. After naysayers claimed it was all for marketing, she said, “This is who I am and who I have always been.”
5 of 12
6. After coming under fire for using the F bomb multiple times on social media, Azealia Banks defended herself, saying “I can’t be homophobic. I’m bisexual.”
6 of 12
7. Amber Rose has never been shy about her sexuality. She even openly admitted to being in a relationship with a girl, way before her Kanye days.
7 of 12
8. David Bowie was one of the most notable artists of all time, whose sexuality and gender bent all of the traditional rules.
8 of 12
9. Mel B once revealed that she was in a four-year relationship with a woman before.
9 of 12
10. In 2013, Zoe Saldana said that she “might end up with a woman raising my children. I’ve been attracted to the male species, but if one day I wake up and want to be with a woman, I will do that because it is my life, therefore it is my decision.”
10 of 12
11. Megan Fox told Esquire Magazine once, “I have no question in my mind about being bisexual.”
11 of 12
12. Angelina Jolie has always been open about her bisexuality. She once told OK Magazine, “I have loved women in the past and slept with them.”
12 of 12
Continue reading Does Young M.A. Prove There Aren’t Enough Female Emcees For An All Female Top 10?
BIVISIBILITY: These Stars Are Bisexual & Proud
Today is “Celebrate Bisexuality Day,” check out a bunch of celebs who have identified as bisexual.