Chris Rock should be laughing all the way to the bank today because he just broke an impressive financial record with Netflix—and audiences will reap the benefits with endless bouts of laughter. It may be hard to believe, but it’s been eight long years since Rock did stand-up comedy. Yet with the help of a $40 million deal with Netflix, he is set to return to the stage in top form.
You read that right. Chris Rock has signed a deal with Netflix that will net him a massive $40 million payday for two forthcoming stand-up comedy specials. This figure doubles what other comedians have been given in the past and positions Rock back to where he shines the most, putting a comedic spin on everything from pop culture and politics to race relations and relationships in front of a live audience. The Hollywood Reporter has further details about Rock’s Netflix deal, including when it’s expected to be released.
Via The Hollywood Reporter:
The first Rock show will tape in 2017 and follow a new world tour that is currently being planned. It’s unclear when either that first show will air or when the second will tape and be rolled out. Given Rock’s recent Emmy nomination for directing HBO’s Schumer special, the deal at Netflix should be considered a big win for the streaming giant, which landed the in-demand comedian’s specials following a multiple-network bidding war.
“Chris Rock is a beloved actor and director, and his remarkable stand-up makes him comic royalty. There is no one like him, and Netflix offers the global platform and creative freedom that will serve as a perfect home for someone with his incredible talent,” Netflix chief content officer Ted Sarandos said in a statement.
Rock released an official statement about the deal, stating “I’m very excited to be working with Ted and Lisa and all the good people at Netflix. I can’t wait to get back on stage,” he said.
1. In 2015, Miley Cyrus revealed that she identifies as sexually fluid, telling Paper magazine, “I am literally open to every single thing that is consenting and doesn’t involve an animal and everyone is of age.”
1 of 12
2. Ricky Martin shocked the world when he came out as gay in 2010. The father of two once revealed, “I know that I like both men and women, I’m against sexual labels.”
2 of 12
3. After photos surfaced of her making out with Michelle Rodriguez, Cara Delevingne came clean about her bisexuality, saying, “It took me a long time to accept the idea, until I first fell in love with a girl at 20 and recognized that I had to accept it.”
3 of 12
4. Frank Ocean captivated the world with his songs about love and women. When he opened up about his experience falling in love with a guy, he garnered the attention of many more.
4 of 12
5. Lady Gaga has been open about her sexuality since the beginning of her career. After naysayers claimed it was all for marketing, she said, “This is who I am and who I have always been.”
5 of 12
6. After coming under fire for using the F bomb multiple times on social media, Azealia Banks defended herself, saying “I can’t be homophobic. I’m bisexual.”
6 of 12
7. Amber Rose has never been shy about her sexuality. She even openly admitted to being in a relationship with a girl, way before her Kanye days.
7 of 12
8. David Bowie was one of the most notable artists of all time, whose sexuality and gender bent all of the traditional rules.
8 of 12
9. Mel B once revealed that she was in a four-year relationship with a woman before.
9 of 12
10. In 2013, Zoe Saldana said that she “might end up with a woman raising my children. I’ve been attracted to the male species, but if one day I wake up and want to be with a woman, I will do that because it is my life, therefore it is my decision.”
10 of 12
11. Megan Fox told Esquire Magazine once, “I have no question in my mind about being bisexual.”
11 of 12
12. Angelina Jolie has always been open about her bisexuality. She once told OK Magazine, “I have loved women in the past and slept with them.”
12 of 12
Continue reading Netflix Reportedly Paid $40 Million For Two Chris Rock Stand-Up Specials
BIVISIBILITY: These Stars Are Bisexual & Proud
Today is “Celebrate Bisexuality Day,” check out a bunch of celebs who have identified as bisexual.