Racism runs rampart in every part of the world, as is apparent by this 21-year-old Australian woman who decided to have an African party called, “This Is Africa” to celebrate her birthday. It’s being reported that after posting the photos, the woman decided to keep the photos up, despite several people telling her how racist the photos were. The girl offered an explanation, “I was Cleopatra and did not encourage my guest to wear anything racist simply to come as something African Inspired.” Oh, well in that case, we understand! *side eye*
While she asked her guests to wear “African themed” clothing to depict the continent, her guests must have misinterpreted her request because the result was several white people in blackface, elephant and gorilla costumes, warpaint, Native American headdresses and there was even a KKK member! WTF?!
The photos have even been reported to Facebook and have still not been taken down. The girl claimed she was never asked to take them down. She started a Tumblr page to offer an explanation, which she has since deleted as well as every other trace of social media she’s on.
What’s sad is that she doesn’t know that Africa isn’t a country. SMH. If you’re going to have a themed party, do your research and offer your guests a cultural experience, instead of an ignorant one. “How can people be annoyed that the majority of the people at the party were celebrating another countries culture.” Is she serious? Why, yes she is.
Check out her explanation here:
Okay don’t even know how to use tumblr but wanted to clarify this.
It was my ‘African themed’ party and it was honestly made that theme because I have always wanted to go to Africa (to teach english) but haven’t made it there yet. In no way was this party intended to hurt anyones feelings or upset anyone at all. In fact as you can tell from the photos I dressed up as cleopatra, whilst MAJORITY of my guests came as animals, that can be found in africa or wore traditional african clothes or even dressed up as famous people who come from africa. If anything this was to celebrate the amazing country and people. However, some guest did decide to paint themselves, although this was in no way my intention or encouraged in the slightest. I understand that this has offended some people and I have no idea how these photos have even been seen, they were simply put on facebook for my guests to see the photos of themselves. I am 100% sure that parties would be held that would be ‘Australian themed’ or American themed or even countries of the world, and in that instance I don’t believe anyone would be offended. People wear oktoberfest cotumes to parties and no one cracks it that they are not German? So what I am saying is I do understand the people who have painted themselves have offended people, although none of them intended that…. but how can people be annoyed that the majority of the people at the party were celebrating another countries culture.
Also one of my friends who is Mauritian painted himself white, but that photos didn’t make it to this page along with the MAJORITY of people who were amazingly detailed costumes that no one could take offense to!! I am sure that not one person at my party felt upset that said guest painted himself white as it was not meant in that way at all.
Also, I have NEVER been asked to take these photos down, however if I had of course I would have done so, as I had no idea that anyone other than friends and guests could see these photos, and to be honest I am not a racist person at all so I didn’t think anyone could possibly take it that way. I intend to spend 2 months teaching english in cambodia in January, and cant wait to do the same in Africa. If you will still have me.
To reiterate, I was cleopatra and did not encourage my guest to wear anything racist simply to come as something African Inspired, much like if you went to an australia day party (Which I am 100% sure people of all races and cultures do every year!!!)
Again I am sorry for those I have offended and the photos have now been removed now that I have eventually been made aware people were upset. For those who know me at all you would know the last thing in the world I would want to do would be to offend people
Check out more photos here:
What do you think of this themed party? Racist or just ignorant fun? Let’s chat @Rhapsodani.
Check Out This Gallery Of REAL Brown Beauties!
1. Brown-skinned beauties1 of 44
2. Brown-skinned beauties2 of 44
3. Brown-skinned beauties3 of 44
4. Brown-skinned beauties4 of 44
5. Brown-skinned beauties5 of 44
6. Brown-skinned beauties6 of 44
7. Brown-skinned beauties7 of 44
8. Brown-skinned beauties8 of 44
9. Brown-skinned beauties9 of 44
10. Brown-skinned beauties10 of 44
11. Brown-skinned beauties11 of 44
12. Brown-skinned beauties12 of 44
13. Brown-skinned beauties13 of 44
14. Brown-skinned beauties14 of 44
15. Brown-skinned beauties15 of 44
16. Brown-skinned beauties16 of 44
17. Brown-skinned beauties17 of 44
18. Brown-skinned beauties18 of 44
19. Brown-skinned beauties19 of 44
20. Brown-skinned beauties20 of 44
21. Brown-skinned beauties21 of 44
22. Brown-skinned beauties22 of 44
23. Brown-skinned beauties23 of 44
24. Brown-skinned beauties24 of 44
25. Brown-skinned beauties25 of 44
26. Brown-skinned beauties26 of 44
27. Brown-skinned beauties27 of 44
28. Brown-skinned beauties28 of 44
29. Brown-skinned beauties29 of 44
30. Brown-skinned beauties30 of 44
31. Brown-skinned beauties31 of 44
32. Brown-skinned beauties32 of 44
33. Brown-skinned beauties33 of 44
34. Brown-skinned beauties34 of 44
35. Brown-skinned beauties35 of 44
36. Brown-skinned beauties36 of 44
37. Brown-skinned beauties37 of 44
38. Brown-skinned beauties38 of 44
39. Brown-skinned beauties39 of 44
40. Brown-skinned beauties40 of 44
41. Brown-skinned beauties41 of 44
42. Brown-skinned beauties42 of 44
43. Brown-skinned beauties43 of 44
44. Brown-skinned beauties44 of 44
WTF?! 21-Year-Old White Girl Boasts Racist African Bday Party On Facebook [PHOTOS] was originally published on hellobeautiful.com