Oprah Winfrey Network has postponed their planned documentary on Michael Sam, the first openly gay player drafted to the NFL.
“After careful consideration and discussion with the St. Louis Rams, ‘The Untitled Michael Sam Project’ has been postponed, allowing Michael the best opportunity to achieve his dream of making the team,” OWN’s president Erik Logan said in a statement. “It’s clear that we, along with the world, recognize the important opportunity that Michael now has in this moment. We will continue to support him in his journey to earn a spot playing for the Rams.”
According to Sam’s agent Cameron Weiss, the postponement was in his client’s best interest. “This will allow for Michael to have a total focus on football, and will ensure no distractions to his teammates,” he explained. “Everybody involved remains committed to this project and understands its historical importance as well as its positive message.”
The news came just two days after the cable network officially greenlighted the reality show. It was scheduled to be produced by the same team behind the “Lindsay” docu-series.
According to the Hollywood Reporter, it’s unclear when OWN will revisit the project.
Check Out This Gallery
1. Former WNBA player Sheryl SwoopesSource: 1 of 12
2. WNBA player Brittney GrinerSource: 2 of 12
3. Former NBA player John AmaechiSource: 3 of 12
4. Legendary Tennis player Billie Jean KingSource: 4 of 12
5. Boxer Orlando CruzSource: 5 of 12
6. Former NFL player Kwame HarrisSource: 6 of 12
7. Former Olympic diver Greg LouganisSource: 7 of 12
8. Former MLB outfielder Glenn BurkeSource: 8 of 12
9. Former Tennis star Martina NavratalovaSource: 9 of 12
10. Former Soccer player Justin FashanuSource: 10 of 12
11. Esera TuaoloSource: 11 of 12
12. Megan RapinoeSource: 12 of 12
Michael Sam’s Documentary Is A No-Go, OWN Puts Series On Hold was originally published on hellobeautiful.com