Only a handful of people in the world have experienced life at 115 years old, and Jeralean Talley is one of them! The Detroit-area woman is the oldest-living American and the second-oldest person in the world, according to the Gerontology Research Group.
Born on May 23, 1899, her life spans parts of three centuries and she’s ready to celebrate it. The Detroit Free Press reports that her friends and family plan to honor the milestone birthday at New Jerusalem Missionary Baptist Church in Inkster, Mich. today. The celebration will be followed by a trip to the doctor for a checkup.
Despite knee pain, shaky hands, and hearing and memory loss, family says she’s in pretty good health. She gets around with a walker, but that didn’t stop her from attending the family fishing trip last year. And, she bowled until the age of 104!
As far as the secret behind her life as a supercentenarian, Ms. Talley says “It’s all in the good Lord’s hands.”
“There’s nothing I can do about it,” she adds.
What’s a normal day like for Jeralean Talley at 115 years young? She lives with her 76-year-old daughter, attends church when she can and enjoys spending time with her 14-month-old great-great-grandson.
Happy birthday to you!
Check Out This Gallery
Tahiry Flaunts Her Tresses + More Celebs Who've Embraced Their Real Hair
1. Jessica WhiteSource:Steve Granitz/Getty Images 1 of 8
2. SolangeSource:Dimitrios Kambouris/Getty Images 2 of 8
3. Tracee Ellis RossSource:Cindy Ord/Getty Images 3 of 8
4. Teyonah ParrisSource:Jason LaVeris/Getty Images 4 of 8
5. Keke PalmarSource:Paul Archuleta/Getty Images 5 of 8
6. Viola DavisSource:JB Lacroix/Getty Images 6 of 8
7. Janelle MonaeSource:Andrew Toth/Getty Images 7 of 8
8. Jill ScottSource:Gilbert Carrasquillo/Getty Images 8 of 8
BEAUTIFUL NEWS: Oldest Living American Celebrates Her 115th Birthday! was originally published on hellobeautiful.com