In an interview with True Exclusives comedienne and actress Mo’Nique was very vocal about her open marriage with her husband of nearly ten years, Sidney Hicks. She shared the reason why most couples break up is for a lack of trust but as long as there’s honesty and communication, it’s alright with her.
“The person that you stood up and you said ‘for better, for worse, sickness and in health, richer or poorer’ you took those vows in front of the universe. If you don’t live by them, then maybe you shouldn’t have taken them. And when you say ‘a pass to cheat’—see, when you’re with your best friend and you say to your best friend: ‘I’m having these feelings about this person, sexually, and I want to share it with you.’ When you’re best friends, you can have those open and honest conversations.”
She also justifies infidelity as simply fulfilling a need. “Often times, people cheat because of something they’re not getting. But when you have open and honest dialogue, and you say we’re just human beings. And all these people on the face of the earth, do you think my eyes won’t ever say ‘he’s fine’ or ‘she’s attractive’?”
“Now, if you want to go further with it, let’s be honest enough to have those conversations. What is it about that person that you find that you want to sleep with? Because they may give you something that I’m simply not willing to do. And if that’s the case, how can I be mad? Because I’m not going to do it. Should I deprive you of not having it? That’s when the relationship is real.”
But wait, there’s more! The Oscar award winning actress equates being with one person to slavery and being polygamous to royalty.
“We’ve been taught to have ownership, and that’s the Western way to do it. I’m not sure where you originate from, but I originate from this place called Africa and what I know about African kings—tell me one of them who just had one wife. Do you know any of them? I don’t. That’s where I originate from. So when we came here, we adopted other people’s ways, and that’s called ownership. There was a time when I was owned before. I don’t want to be owned anymore.”
You may think Mo’Nique is crazy but many people’s #RelationshipGoals are Will and Jada Pinkett-Smith who have also been pretty candid about their alleged open marriage of nearly twenty years.
Do you agree with Mo’Nique’s relationship advice?
Black Excellence: Taraji, Uzo & Mo'Nique Lead Pack Of 2015 Black Emmy Nominees
1. Taraji P. Henson, “Empire” -- Lead Actress, DramaSource:Getty 1 of 14
2. Guest Actress, DramaSource:Getty 2 of 14
3. Supporting Actress, DramaSource:Getty 3 of 14
4. Don Cheadle, “House of Lies” - Lead Actor, ComedySource:Getty 4 of 14
5. Anthony Anderson, "Black-ish" Lead Actor, Comedy SeriesSource:Getty 5 of 14
6. Niecy Nash - Supporting Actress, Comedy SeriesSource:Getty 6 of 14
7. Keegan-Michael Key, "Key & Peele," -- Outstanding Supporting Actor - Comedy SeriesSource:Getty 7 of 14
8. Queen Latifah, "Bessie" - Lead Actress, Limited Series or MovieSource:Getty 8 of 14
9. David Oyelowo, "Nightingale" -- Lead Actor, Limited Series or MovieSource:Getty 9 of 14
10. "Orange Is The New Black," Outstanding Drama SeriesSource:Getty 10 of 14
11. Angela Bassett, "American Horror Story: Freak Show" , Outstanding Supporting Actress, Limited Series or MovieSource:Getty 11 of 14
12. Mo'Nique, "Bessie" - Supporting Actress, Limited Series Or MovieSource:Blackbird Film Fest Team 12 of 14
13. Beyonce & Jay Z - Outstanding Special Class ProgramSource:Getty 13 of 14
14. Tituss Burgess, "Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt," - Supporting Actor, Comedy SeriesSource:Getty 14 of 14