The 2016 Oscars are underway, and host Chris Rock addressed the elephant in the room: is Hollywood racist?
Chris Rock nails opening monologue and Hollywood’s “sorority” racism.
Rock pulled no punches keeping it honest as he walked onto the stage to Public Enemy’s “Fight The Power.” Right out of the gate, he exclaimed: “If they nominated hosts, I wouldn’t get this job!”
He also addressed the Oscars boycott controversy head on: “I thought about quitting, but they’re not going to cancel the Oscars!” After joking that it’s always the unemployed telling folks to quit a job, he took a quip at a Black comedian who’s had absolutely no shortage of work: “The last thing I need is to lose another job to Kevin Hart!”
While the audience awkwardly clapped through Rock’s truth-filled humor, he didn’t mince words on the hurtful racist brutality African Americans have endured for decades. “Why are we protesting this Oscars? Because we had real things to protest at the time. “Too busy being raped and lynched to see who won Best Cinematography.” Preach.
In the standout line of his monologue, Rock gets to the question on everyone’s mind: “Is Hollywood racist? Is it burning cross racist? No. It’s a different type of racist.” The nicest people on Earth do not hire Black people. Hollywood is sorority racist.”
In case you missed it, check out Rock’s full monologue here.
Rock wasn’t the only actor to address the boycott controversy head on. Kerry Washington explained why she didn’t boycott Hollywood’s biggest night:
Stacey Dash, ummm… endorses Black History Month on stage.
The hilarious sketch with overlooked Black actors forcing Hollywood to pay attention.
In an SNL style sketch, Whoopi Goldberg (who was awkwardly mistaken on social media by a beauty website for Oprah on the red carpet), Chris Rock and Leslie Jones appeared as overlooked actors in this year’s Oscar nominated films. Although they didn’t boycott, they’re statement could not be ignored.
RED CARPET RECAP: The 2016 Academy Awards
1. Jennifer Lawrence goes for sheer.Source:Getty 1 of 24
2. Eniko serves lots of leg on the carpet with Kevin Hart.Source:Getty 2 of 24
3. Olivia Munn is all smiles in a bright, orange gown.Source:Getty 3 of 24
4. Tina Fey is vibrant in purple.Source:Getty 4 of 24
5. The Weeknd cleans up nicely.Source:Getty 5 of 24
6. Suited up! Jared Leto is here.Source:Getty 6 of 24
7. Reese Witherspoon also opts for purple.Source:Getty 7 of 24
8. Jack and Rose. Will Leo win his Oscar tonight?Source:Getty 8 of 24
9. Lady in red! How gorgeous in Charlize Theron?Source:Getty 9 of 24
10. Lady Gaga in a Brandon Maxwell jumpsuit.Source:Getty 10 of 24
11. Rachel McAdams is on fire.Source:Getty 11 of 24
12. Pharrell's still rocking blonde hair. He arrived with his wife, Helen.Source:Getty 12 of 24
13. Sylvester Stallone walks the carpet with Jennifer Flavin.Source:Getty 13 of 24
14. Queen. Kerry Washington serves lots of leg.Source:Getty 14 of 24
15. Ben who? Jennifer Garner keeps it classic in all black.Source:Getty 15 of 24
16. Date night! Chrissy Teigen and John Legend arrive to the 2016 Oscars.Source:Getty 16 of 24
17. S T U N N I N G. Priyanka Chopra in a sheer, white gown.Source:Getty 17 of 24
18. Olivia Wilde in Valentino.Source:Getty 18 of 24
19. Brie Larson in custom Gucci.Source:Getty 19 of 24
20. Are you feeling Heidi Klum's Marchesa gown?Source:Getty 20 of 24
21. Yes! The gorgeous Sofia Vergara walks the carpet in Marchesa, as well.Source:Getty 21 of 24
22. Jason Sudeikis chose to forego Jordans on the red carpet :(Source:Getty 22 of 24
23. Common looks too smooth in an all-white tuxedo.Source:Getty 23 of 24
24. Mindy Kalingin an elegant look by Elizabeth Kennedy.Source:Getty 24 of 24
The 2016 Oscars Moments Everyone Will Be Talking About Tomorrow was originally published on globalgrind.com