NEW YORK (AP) — Some New York City residents are petitioning to have a street in the Greenwich Village neighborhood named in honor of musician Jimi Hendrix.
Organizers of the petition are seeking to co-name West Eighth Street as “Jimi Hendrix Way.” The New York Times reports the organizers say they believe the co-naming also would attract visitors to an area fighting gentrification.
Richard Geist, a local store owner, says the block has “lost the magic and we want to bring that magic back.”
Hendrix opened Electric Lady Studios on the block just before his death in 1970.
To co-name a street, petitioners would have to make a proposal to the local community board before it could be proposed to the full New York City Council for a vote.
Exhibition Devoted to Jimi Hendrix London Years
1. 1. A Gibson Flying V guitar that Jimi Hendrix played at the Isle of Wight festival.1 of 11
2. 2. Georgian house turned into a museum with an exhibition devoted to Hendrix.2 of 11
3. 3. A self portrait by Hendrix, displayed at an exhibition in the house he lived.3 of 11
4. 4. An exhibition devoted to Jimi Hendrix held at Handel House Museum in London.4 of 11
5. 5. A vintage concert poster depicting late US musician Jimi Hendrix on display.5 of 11
6. 6. An exhibition devoted to Hendrix held at the Handel House Museum in London6 of 11
7. 7. An orange velvet jacket and a black Westerner hat on display that was Hendrix.7 of 11
8. 8. A photograph of Jimi Hendrix decorates an office of the Handel House Museum.8 of 11
9. 9. A jacket that belonged to Jim Hendrix.9 of 11
10. 10. Museum Deputy Dir. poses with the jacket that belonged to Jim Hendrix.10 of 11
11. 11. Jimi Hendrix's 'Westerner' hat shown on display at an exhibition in London.11 of 11
Sign Up For Our Newsletter!
(AP Photo, File)
New York Residents Seek To Co-Name Street After Jimi Hendrix was originally published on blackamericaweb.com