As Issa Rae continues to reach new heights in her professional career, the 36-year-old has not forgotten the people, and moments, that have impacted her journey. In the June issue of Vanity Fair, Rae shares a memory of late rapper Nipsey Hussle, who she says came through in a major way to mend the relationship between herself and actress Lauren London.
According to Rae, one of her “biggest regrets” occurred when she name-dropped London in interviews and her memoir. Rae said she rubbed her the wrong way by complaining that TV execs had suggested that London could play the lead in Awkward Black Girl, a role that Rae had written for herself.
“One of my biggest regrets, naming her,” said Issa. “She took offense to that.” The relationship was eventually repaired, however, one fateful night at Diddy’s 50th birthday bash.
Rae says Nispey knew of the issue and decided it was time the two made peace.
“He was like, ‘You should just talk to her. Let me set it up,’” she said. “It actually sparked an amazing two-hour conversation. We had so much in common. She was like, ‘People don’t understand, I’m an awkward Black girl.’ In the same way that I was upset about the limited portrayal of Black women, she was like, ‘People do the same thing to me.’ I completely get that.”
You can read more about Issa Rae in the June issue of Vanity Fair.
Women’s History Month Saving Our Daughters Inspires Girls of Cleveland
1. Saving Our DaughtersSource:Curtis Benjamin 1 of 9
2. Saving Our DaughtersSource:Curtis Benjamin 2 of 9
3. Saving Our DaughtersSource:Curtis Benjamin 3 of 9
4. Saving Our DaughtersSource:Curtis Benjamin 4 of 9
5. Saving Our DaughtersSource:Curtis Benjamin 5 of 9
6. Saving Our DaughtersSource:Curtis Benjamin 6 of 9
7. Saving Our DaughtersSource:Curtis Benjamin 7 of 9
8. Saving Our DaughtersSource:Curtis Benjamin 8 of 9
9. Saving Our DaughtersSource:Curtis Benjamin 9 of 9
- Black Music Month: The City of Atlanta Introduced The Black Music and Entertainment Walk of Fame
- E! Welcomed Their Newest Family To The Network With ‘We Got Love: Teyana & Iman’
- The Lo Down: Nina Simone’s Granddaughter Defends Chloe Bailey’s Performance
- Hip Hop Spot: Megan Thee Stallion Calls Out DaBaby for Tory Lanez Retweet, Toosii and DDG Agree to Boxing Match
- Take Our Young Thug Quiz To Win TIX To Birthday Bash ATL 25
- Gabrielle Union-Wade Celebrates Hubby Dwyane Wade In Sweet Father’s Day Message: ‘I Thank God Everyday’
- Stylish Track Superstar Sha’Carri Richardson Wants The World To Know She’s ‘That Girl’
- Damon Dash Is Trying To Sell His Stake In Roc-A-Fella: Report
- Don’t Believe The Myth That Black Fathers Are Not There For Their Children
- Victoria’s Secret Retires VS Angels To ‘Give Women What They Want’
Issa Rae Credits Nipsey Hussle For Mending Her Relationship With Lauren London was originally published on wzakcleveland.com