“Do you remember the 21st night of September?”
If someone happens to asks you this at some point today, please don’t be alarmed: it’s Earth, Wind & Fire Day!
The legendary funk/soul band’s 1978 hit, “September,” is officially being recognized today by fans everywhere for the opening line of the song that just so happens to coincide with today’s date. R&B fans everywhere are sure to be “chasin’ the clouds away” tonight with their souls singing in the key of ringing hearts, dancing the night away on this glorious September night — the first official day of fall, no less!
Adding even more incentive to celebrate, Chicago Mayor Brandon Johnson officially made today “Earth, Wind & Fire Day” earlier this summer after local residents unofficially have been commemorating the day for well over a decade.
Have fun tonight, Windy City!
While nothing will ever replace the original “September,” a Library of Congress-recognized classic that topped Billboard’s R&B chart (then called “US Hot Soul Singles”) and also landed in the top 10 on the Hot 100, we can always appreciate a good cover version. Since the song’s original run began in 1978, many recording artists in the decades since have bravely stepped up to the plate to record their own rendition of the funky fan fave. Sure, not all have been received well — sorry, Taylor Swift! (see RELATED LINK above) — but a good handful are definitely sure to make the guys of EWF proud. Some kept it closer to the classic, while others took the song in a completely different direction that we actually ended up enjoying.
Take a look below at 10 of the best covers versions of “September” made in tribute to Earth, Wind & Fire. Feel free to let us know if we missed any, and make sure to dance the night away on this beautiful “21st night of…” well, you get the drift:
- Musicians, Fans React To The Death Of Earth Wind & Fire’s Legendary Maurice White
- Sam Dew “Damn Sue” EP [NEW MUSIC]
- Soul Train Awards 2011 Winners
The post Earth, Wind & Fire Day: 10 Best Cover Versions Of “September” appeared first on Black America Web.
Earth, Wind & Fire Day: 10 Best Cover Versions Of “September” was originally published on blackamericaweb.com
1. Wayne Wonder – “September” (1992)
2. Nettai Tropical Jazz Big Band – “September” (1999)
3. Friend ‘N Fellow – “September” (2006)
4. Full Flava (feat Chantay Savage) – “September” (2006)
5. Kirk Franklin – “September” (2007)
6. Gordon Goodwin’s Big Phat Band (feat. Patti Austin) – “September” (2008)
BIG BAND JAZZ
7. Cuban Jazz Combo – “September” (2010)
8. Justin Timberlake & Anna Kendrick – “September [from DreamWorks Animation’s ‘TROLLS’]” (2016)
9. Tauren Wells – “September” (2017)
10. The Hindley Street Country Club (feat. Philimon Araya) – “September” (2022)
Ciara’s 10K for the Holidays
Jay-Z's Alleged Mistress Dies At 28
23 Atlanta Slang Words And Phrases That Drive The Culture
Big Boss Vette Taps In For ‘New And Making Noise’
RENAISSANCE: A FILM BY BEYONCÉ (Register to Win FREE Tickets)
Last Chance Christmas: Win $1,000 For All Your Holiday Needs! [Register Here]
Chick-Fil-A Delivering Hope
What Is Drake's Son Name? ---- "I Only Love Mahbed & My Momma I'm Sorry" !?!?