Looks like we’ll see snow flying in the Atlanta area Thursday. Georgia State Troopers want you to consider these tips to stay safe on the roads.
1. If you don’t have to go out and risk driving on icy roads or being stranded in the cold, stay home.
2. If you do have to drive, give it your full concentration. This is no time to text or be distracted on the phone or eating. Two fisted drivers are ready for the unexpected and steering challenges. FASTEN YOUR SEAT BELTS.
3. Slow down. If you get into trouble, don’t panic and slam on the brakes. Sudden braking eliminates the little traction you have.
4. Don’t tailgate or follow too closely. You need room if you hit a slick spot. Also in case other cars get in trouble, you don’t want to get caught up in a mutiple collision.
5. Don’t use cruise control on ice, snow or slush. You’ll lose needed control of the car, if you’re locked in cruise control.
6. If you start to spin, don’t panic, although you are at the mercy of the ice. If you start sliding, take your foot off the gas, DON’T BRAKE, and steer in the direction of the spin until the vehicle stops.