Legendary rock star David Bowie has died at the age of 69 after a battle with cancer.
The news was released via a statement posted on his social media accounts that read, “David Bowie died peacefully today surrounded by his family after a courageous 18 month battle with cancer. While many of you will share in this loss, we ask that you respect the family’s privacy during their time of grief.”
The news was also confirmed by his son Duncan Jones on Twitter, who said he will be taking a break from social media.
The rock star was known for reinventing the sound of the ’70s and ’80s, and was married to supermodel, Iman.
Here’s how David Bowie influenced Hip Hop.
Several notable figures have taken to social media to mourn the loss of the singer, songwriter and musician.
SOURCE: Facebook | PHOTO CREDIT: Getty, Instagram
In Memoriam: Famous People We Lost In 2015
1. Bobbi Kristina BrownSource:Getty 1 of 15
2. Percy SledgeSource:Getty 2 of 15
3. Julian BondSource:Getty 3 of 15
4. Errol BrownSource:Getty 4 of 15
5. B.B. KingSource:Getty 5 of 15
6. Ben PowersSource:Getty 6 of 15
7. Stuart ScottSource:Getty 7 of 15
8. Andrae CrouchSource:Getty 8 of 15
9. Anthony MasonSource:Getty 9 of 15
10. Charmayne MaxwellSource:Getty 10 of 15
11. Amelia Boynton RobinsonSource:Getty 11 of 15
12. Darryl DawkinsSource:Getty 12 of 15
13. Wes CravenSource:Getty 13 of 15
14. Beau BidenSource:Getty 14 of 15
15. E'Dena HinesSource:Getty 15 of 15
David Bowie Dead At 69, Here’s How He Influenced Hip Hop was originally published on globalgrind.com