In case you missed it, above is the the full audio from our first #StrategyforChange Town Hall meeting.
Moderated by comedian, radio and television personality Rickey Smiley, the panel also included Cedric Alexander, APD Shawn Jones, Dr. Bernice King, David Banner, Lyfe Jennings, ET Cali of The Durtty Boyz, DC Young Fly, 2 Chainz, Tyrese, Attorney Gerald Griggs, Rev. C.T. Vivian, Cariol Horne, Young Jeezy and Sir Major.
The issues of police brutality and the recent killings of Philando Castile, Alton Sterling along with the shootings of the 5 policeman in Dallas sparked a discussion on how to bridge the gap particularly between police officers and black men and how we can create change in our local and state legislature to better serve our community.
Emotions were high but there were also some great ideas that were shared!
I compiled a list of these ideas from both our local community and also the panelists. Hopefully organization and implementation of these strategies can be discussed at our next meeting.
- Organize Interactive Community Policing (ICP) in our communities with better recruiting and training.
- Deal with trauma in our communities and become disciplined and focused – more organizing and strategizing and not just reacting.
- Hold our local and state legislature accountable.
- Know who your local representatives are and what candidates are up for election and VOTE.
- Demand better leadership from your local representatives and support their initiatives.
- Build our own black schools and support their programs.
- Recycle the black dollar and support black owned banks.
- Invest back into your community and support black owned businesses.
- Stop supporting companies that don’t support our communities.
- Parents should be more involved with raising their children and being accountable for informing their children of current issues.
- Be committed to our communities and show up when it counts in all areas.
- Remove guns from officers.
- Get rid of the grand jury.
- Empower the millennial’s, they are fearless but just need a consistent, informed and relatable leader.
- Be willing to sacrifice your life and careers for your families and community.
- If you are a small business and would like to be added to our #StrategyForChange directory, please email email@example.com Subject: Black Owned Business
Strategy For Change
1. Strategy For Change
1 of 18
2. Rickey Smiley
2 of 18
3. E.T. of Hot 107.9
3 of 18
4 of 18
5. 2 Chainz & D.C. Young Fly
5 of 18
6. Strategy For Change
6 of 18
7. Strategy For Change
7 of 18
8. Strategy For Change
8 of 18
9. Rickey Smiley
9 of 18
10 of 18
11. Strategy For Change
11 of 18
12. Strategy For Change
12 of 18
13. Strategy For Change
13 of 18
14. David Banner, Tyrese, & Lyfe Jennings
14 of 18
15. David Banner, Tyrese, & Lyfe Jennings
15 of 18
16. Strategy For Change
16 of 18
17. C.T. Vivian, Gerald Griggs, Bernice King, & Cedric Alexander
17 of 18
18. Rickey Smiley
18 of 18