The Washington Post reports that special counsel Robert Mueller III is investigating whether the president attempted to obstruct justice.
Prior to this, former FBI Director James Comey told Trump privately that he was not under investigation. But that changed when the president fired Comey and made public statements that the termination was related to the FBI’s Russia probe, the newspaper reported.
Five unidentified sources told The Post that thee senior intelligence officials agreed to speak with investigators: Director of National Intelligence Daniel Coats, National Security Agency (NSA) Director Mike Rogers, and former NSA Deputy Director Richard Ledgett.
Trump reportedly began contacting senior intelligence officials when Comey declined to disclose publicly that the FBI was not investigating him. The president was also apparently upset that Comey would not end an investigation into his disgraced former national security adviser, Michael Flynn.
Recent reporting suggests that Trump sought the help of Coats and Rogers to influence Comey.
In May, the Justice Department appointed Mueller to probe ties between Trump’s associates and Russian operatives. His focus was on Russia’s meddling into the election and possible collusion with the Trump campaign, as well as possible laundering of money from Russian sources.
According to The Post, the White House is now directing questions on this matter to Trump’s personal attorney, Marc Kasowitz. His spokesman commented on FBI leaks but not the new expanded probe.
However, the president voiced his view on Twitter:
SOURCE: Washington Post
In Honor Of President's Day, Here Are Photos That Will Make You Miss Barack Obama
1. Barack Gives Daughter Malia a KissSource:Getty 1 of 14
2. Michelle and Barack tell the kids a storySource:Getty 2 of 14
3. Michelle and Barack KissSource:Getty 3 of 14
4. Michelle and BarackSource:Getty 4 of 14
5. Two TermsSource:Getty 5 of 14
6. Michelle and Barack Host a State DinnerSource:Getty 6 of 14
7. Barack Obama and Michelle ObamaSource:Getty 7 of 14
8. Flashback To The Old DaysSource:Pete Souza 8 of 14
9. Candidly AwesomeSource:Pete Souza 9 of 14
10. TV TimeSource:Pete Souza 10 of 14
11. Reading TimeSource:Pete Souza 11 of 14
12. Supporting MomSource:Pete Souza 12 of 14
13. 50th Anniversary Of March On SelmaSource:Pete Souza 13 of 14
14.14 of 14
Trump Under Investigation For Obstruction Of Justice was originally published on newsone.com