Hollywood has always had a deep fascination with film biographies of real people, more commonly known as the biopic, these films are often met with critical praise and showered with lots of nominations and awards during award season. Well a new biopic was just announced about the incredible life of the empowering Angela Davis, and if it’s done the right way…it could be a major film milestone.
You certainly know the basics of who Angela Davis is (or at least you should), but a new biopic is currently in development that will bring her inspiring story to the big screen to educate and entertain those young and old, as well as bring in audiences who are unfamiliar with her.
Variety has all of the exclusive details of the just-announced film version of Angela Davis’ life, from the production studio that has acquired it to just how much Davis will be involved in the film.
Their report states:
Codeblack Films has acquired the movie rights to “Angela Davis: An Autobiography” with plans to develop and produce an authorized Angela Davis biopic film, Variety has learned exclusively.
The untitled film will be produced by Nina Yang Bongiovi, whose credits include “Fruitvale Station” and “Dope.” Sidra Smith, a producer on the 2012 documentary “Free Angela and All Political Prisoners,” and Codeblack Enterprises CEO Jeff Clanagan will also serve as producers on the project.
The 72-year-old Davis has been a prominent activist and radical beginning in the 1960s as a leader of the Civil Rights Movement. She will serve as executive producer along with her niece Eisa Davis, who is also writing the script.
The timing of this film couldn’t be any better or any more relevant. With all of the racial tension going on the country right now, seeing her life story played out onscreen could not only educate and inspire the uninformed, but also offer a nostalgic feeling of pride to those who lived through her bravery and accomplishments. Just let us know where to purchase tickets when it comes out!
1. In 2015, Miley Cyrus revealed that she identifies as sexually fluid, telling Paper magazine, “I am literally open to every single thing that is consenting and doesn’t involve an animal and everyone is of age.”
1 of 12
2. Ricky Martin shocked the world when he came out as gay in 2010. The father of two once revealed, “I know that I like both men and women, I’m against sexual labels.”
2 of 12
3. After photos surfaced of her making out with Michelle Rodriguez, Cara Delevingne came clean about her bisexuality, saying, “It took me a long time to accept the idea, until I first fell in love with a girl at 20 and recognized that I had to accept it.”
3 of 12
4. Frank Ocean captivated the world with his songs about love and women. When he opened up about his experience falling in love with a guy, he garnered the attention of many more.
4 of 12
5. Lady Gaga has been open about her sexuality since the beginning of her career. After naysayers claimed it was all for marketing, she said, “This is who I am and who I have always been.”
5 of 12
6. After coming under fire for using the F bomb multiple times on social media, Azealia Banks defended herself, saying “I can’t be homophobic. I’m bisexual.”
6 of 12
7. Amber Rose has never been shy about her sexuality. She even openly admitted to being in a relationship with a girl, way before her Kanye days.
7 of 12
8. David Bowie was one of the most notable artists of all time, whose sexuality and gender bent all of the traditional rules.
8 of 12
9. Mel B once revealed that she was in a four-year relationship with a woman before.
9 of 12
10. In 2013, Zoe Saldana said that she “might end up with a woman raising my children. I’ve been attracted to the male species, but if one day I wake up and want to be with a woman, I will do that because it is my life, therefore it is my decision.”
10 of 12
11. Megan Fox told Esquire Magazine once, “I have no question in my mind about being bisexual.”
11 of 12
12. Angelina Jolie has always been open about her bisexuality. She once told OK Magazine, “I have loved women in the past and slept with them.”
12 of 12
Continue reading Angela Davis Biopic In Development
BIVISIBILITY: These Stars Are Bisexual & Proud
Today is “Celebrate Bisexuality Day,” check out a bunch of celebs who have identified as bisexual.