While Dwayne Wade is mourning the loss of his cousin Nykea Aldridge, his wife, Gabrielle Union is supporting him the best way she can.
The actress shared a photo on Saturday, enjoying a baseball game with her husband in the wake of the funeral. Aldridge, Wade’s 32-year-old cousin and mother-of-four was shot in a gang-related incident on the South Side of Chicago on Aug. 26.
The family held the funeral at Cosmopolitan Community Church in the city’s Washington Park neighborhood this weekend, which was attended by family friend Rev. Jesse Jackson.
“Tough day for our family as we laid #NykeaAldridge to rest,” Union said in the Instagram caption. “So I surprised my husband and brought him to the home opener! I needed that smile that I love so much back on his face.”
According to Chicago’s WGN, police arrested 22-year-old Derren Sorrells and his 26-year-old brother Darwin Sorrells Jr. for the shooting. Both have been charged with first-degree murder. Police say both have known gang connections. Aldridge was not the intended target.
One of the suspects accused in his cousin’s killing “just got out of prison not too long ago,” Wade said in an interview with Good Morning America co-anchor George Stephanopoulos that aired Friday.
“So, you know, guys go to prison and then we let them back out on the street and they’re going to go back to what they’re used to and what they know… If there’s something we can do with the prison that can help with work programs, that can help — when people come out it gives them an opportunity to try to better themselves. And we’re not doing that.”
Wade who is coming back to his hometown to play for the Chicago Bulls, plans to do more than just contribute to his team. He’s made it clear that he intends to change the climate of violence in the mid-west city.
According to homicide reports, ninety people were killed in Chicago in the month of August— the city’s deadliest month for gun violence in 20 years.
1. In 2015, Miley Cyrus revealed that she identifies as sexually fluid, telling Paper magazine, “I am literally open to every single thing that is consenting and doesn’t involve an animal and everyone is of age.”
1 of 12
2. Ricky Martin shocked the world when he came out as gay in 2010. The father of two once revealed, “I know that I like both men and women, I’m against sexual labels.”
2 of 12
3. After photos surfaced of her making out with Michelle Rodriguez, Cara Delevingne came clean about her bisexuality, saying, “It took me a long time to accept the idea, until I first fell in love with a girl at 20 and recognized that I had to accept it.”
3 of 12
4. Frank Ocean captivated the world with his songs about love and women. When he opened up about his experience falling in love with a guy, he garnered the attention of many more.
4 of 12
5. Lady Gaga has been open about her sexuality since the beginning of her career. After naysayers claimed it was all for marketing, she said, “This is who I am and who I have always been.”
5 of 12
6. After coming under fire for using the F bomb multiple times on social media, Azealia Banks defended herself, saying “I can’t be homophobic. I’m bisexual.”
6 of 12
7. Amber Rose has never been shy about her sexuality. She even openly admitted to being in a relationship with a girl, way before her Kanye days.
7 of 12
8. David Bowie was one of the most notable artists of all time, whose sexuality and gender bent all of the traditional rules.
8 of 12
9. Mel B once revealed that she was in a four-year relationship with a woman before.
9 of 12
10. In 2013, Zoe Saldana said that she “might end up with a woman raising my children. I’ve been attracted to the male species, but if one day I wake up and want to be with a woman, I will do that because it is my life, therefore it is my decision.”
10 of 12
11. Megan Fox told Esquire Magazine once, “I have no question in my mind about being bisexual.”
11 of 12
12. Angelina Jolie has always been open about her bisexuality. She once told OK Magazine, “I have loved women in the past and slept with them.”
12 of 12
Continue reading Gabrielle Union Did Something Special To Lift Husband’s Spirit After Cousin’s Funeral
BIVISIBILITY: These Stars Are Bisexual & Proud
Today is “Celebrate Bisexuality Day,” check out a bunch of celebs who have identified as bisexual.