According to the New York Times, lawyers for the cops allege that State’s Attorney Marilyn Mosby‘s office was motivated by “conflicts of interest” when they filed the charges a week ago. The Times adds that, aside from asking for the charges to be dropped, the lawyers hae also requested that Mosby be removed from the case.
The lawyers’ request states:
The defense motion also seeks dismissal of the charges — which include second-degree murder, manslaughter and assault — against the six officers. If that request is not granted, then the motion asks for the removal of the prosecutor, Marilyn J. Mosby, the state’s attorney in Baltimore, and the appointment of an independent prosecutor to determine how the case proceeds.
Rarely in the history of any criminal case has a prosecutor so directly maintained so many conflicts of interest, the defense lawyers stated in the motion.
The motion adds: At best, the charges levied against these officers are extraordinary prosecutorial overreaching. At worst, they are something far more nefarious.
The lawyers’ 109-page document marks the first full-throated defense that any of the six officers have had since Ms. Mosby announced the charges during a nationally televised news conference on May 1 after several days of civil unrest over Mr. Gray’s death. Mr. Gray was injured while in police custody on April 12 and died a week later.
The six officers will be appearing in court on May 27th. Thoughts?
SOURCE: Complex | PHOTO CREDIT: Getty
Baltimore Reacts To The Freddie Gray Case [PHOTOS]
1. Fire eruptsSource: 1 of 19
2. After being pepper sprayedSource: 2 of 19
3. Injured manSource: 3 of 19
4. Smoke conditionSource: 4 of 19
5. Mondawmin Mall clashSource: 5 of 19
6. Mowdamin MallSource: 6 of 19
7. Lining up to mourn Freddie GraySource: 7 of 19
8. GrievingSource: 8 of 19
9. New Shiloh Baptist ChurchSource: 9 of 19
10. Honk for JusticeSource: 10 of 19
11. Police in riot gear confront protestersSource: 11 of 19
12. Police in motionSource: 12 of 19
13. ConfrontedSource: 13 of 19
14. Facing downSource: 14 of 19
15. On the groundSource: 15 of 19
16. Atop a carSource: 16 of 19
17. Remembering Freddie GraySource: 17 of 19
18. Black Lives MatterSource: 18 of 19
19. Marching to police stationSource: 19 of 19
Attorneys Request Dismissal Of All Charges For Six Officers Involved In Freddie Gray Case was originally published on globalgrind.com