If you missed it, the former child star said she wouldn’t hire anyone with a “ghetto” name. This sparked outrage on social media, including a Facebook post from her father, Christopher Pearman, saying he loves his daughter but she says stupid stuff every now and then.
“Raven is a really Beautiful, Sweethearted, Human Being.I should know. Her Mother and I Love her Very much and will always support her and have her back. Even if sometimes……….she says some dumb S#%T!”
Now it seems like Raven-Symoné also realizes the error of her ways. She took to Facebook to explain:
My comments about discrimination have spun out of control.
I’d like to begin by saying that I was not attacking a specific race, but repeating a name that was said in a viral video which has received over 2 million likes.
I have been denied many jobs because of my skin color, body size, and age. Each time I was rejected, my self esteem was negatively effected, so i empathize with those who feel victimized by what I said. We would hope that when it comes to hiring, our names, physical appearance, sexual orientation, and age would never outweigh our qualifications, but often times, they do, thats the truth and it sucks. But I should not be part of the problem, I should be part of the solution.
As an equal opportunity employer, I have never discriminated against a name….even though I said I would, it’s not true. My comment was in poor taste. My lack of empathy towards name discrimination was uncalled for. I would also like to say that on Friday my account was hacked, those are not my words.
We are glad to see Raven understanding what she said was wrong, but she definitely didn’t need to say it in the first place.
SOURCE: Facebook | PHOTO CREDIT: Getty
1 of 15
1. That Time When She Co-Starred On The Single Most Important Show About Black Families: "The Cosby Show."
2 of 15
2. Actually Black.
3 of 15
3. When She Showed Off Her #TeamNatural Afro. Key Term: Afro.
4 of 15
4. Rapping With Da Brat.
5 of 15
5. That's So Black.
6 of 15
6. Showing Off Her Nikes For The 'Gram…Such A Black Thing To Do.
7 of 15
7. Black Family Portrait.
8 of 15
8. Raven Rockin' A Kufi.
9 of 15
10 of 15
10. Rockin' These Modern-Day Cealie Dooky Plaits.
11 of 15
11. Kufi & A BoomBox.
12 of 15
12. That Time She Created This Beautiful Drawing Of An African Woman.
13 of 15
13. This Whole Outfit Is African Inspired.
14 of 15
14. That Time She Was Walking Around The Streets Of D.C. In A Floor-Length Fur…Looking Like Someone's Black Grandma.
15 of 15
15. Terrible Black Fashion Circa 2003.
Raven-Symone Issues A Statement About Her Comments On Name Discrimination was originally published on globalgrind.com