The move comes nearly a month after he announced that he wanted to bar transgender people from enlisting in the armed forces. According to the outlet, the memorandum also prevents the Department of Defense from providing current transgender troops with medical treatment plans. Both the Department of Defense and the Department of Homeland Security will reportedly decide whether transgender individuals who are currently serving will be allowed to remain in the military.
CNN reports the memorandum reversed a delayed policy proposed by former president Barack Obama in 2016 which would have allowed transgender troops to openly serve.
A White House official says that the troops will be assessed on “military effectiveness and lethality, unitary cohesion, budgetary constraints, applicable law, and all factors that may be relevant,” the outlet writes.
Contrary to the non-inclusive message that the president is sending by putting the policy into effect, the White House official claims that Trump will advocate for the LGBT community. “He’s going to continue to ensure that the rights of the LGBTQ community, as well as all Americans, is protected. He’s going to continue to ensure that the rights of the LGBTQ community, as well as all Americans, is protected. This policy is based on a series of national security considerations,” said the official, according to the outlet.
Although Trump was quick to sign the memorandum, the White House has no plans regarding how the policy will be executed. According to a 2016 study released by the Rand Corporation, between 1,320 and 6,630 transgender individuals serve in the military, reports the outlet.
In July Trump took to Twitter to share that one of the reasons he wanted to ban transgender individuals from serving in the military was due to the “tremendous medical costs.” However, the Rand study shows that medical treatment would make up an “exceedingly small proportion” of health care expenses, the outlet writes.
Happy Birthday, Barack Obama: Photos That Will Make You Miss Your Favorite President
1. Barack Gives Daughter Malia a KissSource:Getty 1 of 29
2. Michelle and Barack tell the kids a storySource:Getty 2 of 29
3. Michelle and Barack KissSource:Getty 3 of 29
4. Michelle and BarackSource:Getty 4 of 29
5. First Family PortraitSource:Getty 5 of 29
6. Two TermsSource:Getty 6 of 29
7. Michelle and Barack host a State DinnerSource:Getty 7 of 29
8. Barack Obama and Michelle ObamaSource:Getty 8 of 29
9. Sunday ChurchSource:Getty 9 of 29
10. Barack Obama and his daughter Malia ObamaSource:Getty 10 of 29
11. A Family AffairSource:Getty 11 of 29
12. Flashback To The Old DaysSource:Pete Souza 12 of 29
13. Happy Birthday!Source:Getty 13 of 29
14. Candidly AwesomeSource:Pete Souza 14 of 29
15. Historic First FamilySource:Getty 15 of 29
16. Ice Cream TreatSource:Getty 16 of 29
17. TV TimeSource:Pete Souza 17 of 29
18. Hawaii Trip!Source:Getty 18 of 29
19. Obama Loves Team USA & His WifeSource:Getty 19 of 29
20. Reading TimeSource:Pete Souza 20 of 29
21. Family SupportSource:Getty 21 of 29
22. Supporting MomSource:Pete Souza 22 of 29
23. Giving Back On MLK DaySource:Getty 23 of 29
24. Obamas Give Back To The CommunitySource:Getty 24 of 29
25. Always Supporting Small BusinessesSource:Getty 25 of 29
26. Obama SwaggerSource:Getty 26 of 29
27. Laughs & TurkeysSource:Getty 27 of 29
28. Christmas With The ObamasSource:Getty 28 of 29
29. 50th Anniversary Of March On SelmaSource:Pete Souza 29 of 29
Trump Signs Memorandum Banning Transgender People From Enlisting In The Military was originally published on newsone.com