Drake held a listening session for his debut album, Thank Me Later, for select members of the press in Canada.
Here’s what one writer had to say:
In Toronto this afternoon a few of us got an invite from Universal Music to meet Drake and listen to some new tracks from his soon–to–be–released album. It sounds like a monster to me. It was really good stuff. And Drake is a nice kid. Here’s what I can tell you…
1) There’s a song on the disc called “Fireworks” that has the greatest beat ever. Drake has this sidekick producer called 40, and he’s talented. I met him as well this afternoon and he’s also a good kid. He’s about to be very, very busy. “Fireworks” has a hook on it courtesy of Kings of Leon. It’s catchy.
2) There is a Kanye West–produced track on the album that comes with a story. The track was made by Kanye for Beyonce, but Drake really wanted it so he wrote her a handwritten letter asking if he could use it. She read it and thought it was sweet and e–mailed him to give her permission. It’s a great track.
3) There’s a Jay–Z/Drake track that he played for us – minus Jay’s verse. Jay–Z doesn’t let anyone hear his stuff before it comes out. Drake claims it is the greatest verse Jay’s ever done.
4) I think the final track on the album is called “Thank Me Now” or something. He played us a recorded verse then did another one live and it was one of the best. Really cool.
5) He sings on a bunch of tracks on the album.
6) This Saturday Drake will be in L.A. doing a track with Dr. Dre and Eminem.
7) Yes, there is a Timbaland beat on the album.
Spotted @ HipHopSite.com
Are you excited about Thank Me Later???
RELATED: NEW MUSIC: Drake – “Over” (EXPLICIT)