This time it’s football analyst Rodney Harrison, who went totally left with his explanation of why he disagrees with the 49ers quarterback, stating everyone should respect the flag during an interview on SportsTalk 790’s show, The Proper Gentlemen of Sports in Houston, Texas.
Like many others, the former football player agrees with Kaepernick’s cause, just not the way he’s going about it.
“I think his heart is in the right place,” Harrison said Tuesday morning. “I just think he’s going about it the wrong way. And if he really wants to make change, sitting his butt down on the bench, that’s not going to change [anything]. That’s going to get people very upset, and he has to understand that. If you think you’re sitting against the national anthem, well, a lot of people really served before his time and are now trying to give him the freedoms and the liberties and the opportunities he has to be able to make the money that he has and the ability to speak and have a voice.”
But it all went wrong when Harrison said Kaepernick, who’s half Black, isn’t Black.
“I’m a Black man, and Colin Kaepernick, he’s not Black,” Harrison said. “He cannot understand what I face and what other young black men and black people face or people of color face on an every single [day] basis when you walk in the grocery store and you might have $2000 or $3000 in your pocket and you go up into a Foot Locker and they’re looking at you like you’re about to steal something. I don’t think he faces those types of things that we face on a daily basis.”
Harrison also suggested the 28-year-old is speaking out now because he’s financially stable.
“It’s one of those situations where it’s a very sensitive topic, and he has to understand, too, that right now, he’s in the midst of a quarterback battle. He’s in the midst of trying to keep a job. Sometimes, you have to look at the bigger picture. People will say, ‘Well, maybe what he’s standing for is bigger than him winning the job,’ or something like that. But my thing is, I look at the timing of the situation. Why is he doing it now? He’s in a quarterback battle. He’s fighting for his life. Yes, he’s guaranteed $11 million. But what happened to all this Colin Kaepernick talk when he was making $300,000? I guess it’s easier to sit there and say, ‘I know I’m guaranteed $11 million,’” the 43-year-old said.
1. In 2015, Miley Cyrus revealed that she identifies as sexually fluid, telling Paper magazine, “I am literally open to every single thing that is consenting and doesn’t involve an animal and everyone is of age.”
1 of 12
2. Ricky Martin shocked the world when he came out as gay in 2010. The father of two once revealed, “I know that I like both men and women, I’m against sexual labels.”
2 of 12
3. After photos surfaced of her making out with Michelle Rodriguez, Cara Delevingne came clean about her bisexuality, saying, “It took me a long time to accept the idea, until I first fell in love with a girl at 20 and recognized that I had to accept it.”
3 of 12
4. Frank Ocean captivated the world with his songs about love and women. When he opened up about his experience falling in love with a guy, he garnered the attention of many more.
4 of 12
5. Lady Gaga has been open about her sexuality since the beginning of her career. After naysayers claimed it was all for marketing, she said, “This is who I am and who I have always been.”
5 of 12
6. After coming under fire for using the F bomb multiple times on social media, Azealia Banks defended herself, saying “I can’t be homophobic. I’m bisexual.”
6 of 12
7. Amber Rose has never been shy about her sexuality. She even openly admitted to being in a relationship with a girl, way before her Kanye days.
7 of 12
8. David Bowie was one of the most notable artists of all time, whose sexuality and gender bent all of the traditional rules.
8 of 12
9. Mel B once revealed that she was in a four-year relationship with a woman before.
9 of 12
10. In 2013, Zoe Saldana said that she “might end up with a woman raising my children. I’ve been attracted to the male species, but if one day I wake up and want to be with a woman, I will do that because it is my life, therefore it is my decision.”
10 of 12
11. Megan Fox told Esquire Magazine once, “I have no question in my mind about being bisexual.”
11 of 12
12. Angelina Jolie has always been open about her bisexuality. She once told OK Magazine, “I have loved women in the past and slept with them.”
12 of 12
Continue reading Former NFL Player & Football Analyst Rodney Harrison Says Colin Kaepernick Is ‘Not Black’
BIVISIBILITY: These Stars Are Bisexual & Proud
Today is “Celebrate Bisexuality Day,” check out a bunch of celebs who have identified as bisexual.