Add one more name to the list of Colin Kaepernick critics.
Shaquille O’Neal lent his voice to the growing group of Kaepernick naysayers during a Fox News segment on Wednesday morning.
“I don’t know Colin, but again, to each his own. I don’t really have a say on it, but I would never do that. My father was a military man, and you know, he protected this country. Uncles are in law enforcement, you know, they go out and work hard every day,” he said.
Sigh. I thought we were done with this narrative of tying Kaepernick’s protest against the National Anthem to disrespecting the military. As he has said time and time again, Kaepernick is taking a stand against the historic mistreatment of people of color in this country. That’s it. Point blank, period.
And, in an effort to show solidarity with veterans and active military members, Kaepernick opted to take a knee instead of sitting, so what are you really saying, Shaq?
The former NBA player tried to shoot a three-pointer, but missed when he raised questions about Kaepernick’s timing: “My question is, how come you didn’t do it last year? Or how come you didn’t do it when you first entered the NFL?”
Really, Shaq? Kaepernick has been woke. See exhibits A, B, and C below:
The dates on the above posts go back to almost a year ago. And even if Kaepernick didn’t have pro-Black posts on social media, does this make him less qualified to speak on the mistreatment of Black people, especially as a Black man?
Shaq, you tried it. Please don’t try again.
SOURCE: Fox Sports, YouTube | PHOTO CREDIT: Getty, Instagram
Colin Kaepernick: The Patriot
Colin Kaepernick’s Critics Fail To Address Reasons For Protest
Also On Hot 107.9:
BIVISIBILITY: These Stars Are Bisexual & Proud
12 photos Launch gallery
1. In 2015, Miley Cyrus revealed that she identifies as sexually fluid, telling Paper magazine, “I am literally open to every single thing that is consenting and doesn’t involve an animal and everyone is of age.”
1 of 12
2. Ricky Martin shocked the world when he came out as gay in 2010. The father of two once revealed, “I know that I like both men and women, I’m against sexual labels.”
2 of 12
3. After photos surfaced of her making out with Michelle Rodriguez, Cara Delevingne came clean about her bisexuality, saying, “It took me a long time to accept the idea, until I first fell in love with a girl at 20 and recognized that I had to accept it.”
3 of 12
4. Frank Ocean captivated the world with his songs about love and women. When he opened up about his experience falling in love with a guy, he garnered the attention of many more.
4 of 12
5. Lady Gaga has been open about her sexuality since the beginning of her career. After naysayers claimed it was all for marketing, she said, “This is who I am and who I have always been.”
5 of 12
6. After coming under fire for using the F bomb multiple times on social media, Azealia Banks defended herself, saying “I can’t be homophobic. I’m bisexual.”
6 of 12
7. Amber Rose has never been shy about her sexuality. She even openly admitted to being in a relationship with a girl, way before her Kanye days.
7 of 12
8. David Bowie was one of the most notable artists of all time, whose sexuality and gender bent all of the traditional rules.
8 of 12
9. Mel B once revealed that she was in a four-year relationship with a woman before.
9 of 12
10. In 2013, Zoe Saldana said that she “might end up with a woman raising my children. I’ve been attracted to the male species, but if one day I wake up and want to be with a woman, I will do that because it is my life, therefore it is my decision.”
10 of 12
11. Megan Fox told Esquire Magazine once, “I have no question in my mind about being bisexual.”
11 of 12
12. Angelina Jolie has always been open about her bisexuality. She once told OK Magazine, “I have loved women in the past and slept with them.”
12 of 12