Before her death, Nina Simone visited Lauryn Hill while she was on tour in 1999, and since then their connection has transcended beyond mortality.
In a statement to Rolling Stone, Lauryn Hill discussed her love and admiration of Nina Simone.
“Because I fed on this music, both hers and lovers like her, like my basic food, I believed I always had a right to have a voice. Her example is clearly a form of sustenance to a generation needing to find theirs. What a gift.”
The film What Happened, Miss Simone? will premiere on Netflix July 26. The film’s soundtrack will feature contributions by Lauryn Hill, Mary J. Blige, Usher, Common, Alice Smith, and Nina Simone’s daughter Lisa. Nina Revisited: A Tribute to Nina Simone will hit iTunes on July 10.
Listen to Lauryn’s cover down under.
SOURCE: Rolling Stone | PHOTO CREDIT: Getty
Mary J. Blige's 22 Most Classic Looks Over The Years (PHOTOS)
1. A classic Mary J. Blige look.1 of 22
2. Pink fur and silver metallic, Mary definitely took her share of fashion dares.2 of 22
3. Mary might've had many changes over the years, but the blonde hair and dark sunglasses always remained constant.3 of 22
4. Mary rocks beautiful honey blonde curls.4 of 22
5. Mary accepting a VIBE award.5 of 22
6. She's gorgeous in gold.6 of 22
7. Denim and leather chaps, get 'em Mary.7 of 22
8. Even with her hair tied, chillin' with no make up on, Mary pulls it off.8 of 22
9. Mary looks flawless in a red leather vest.9 of 22
10. Leather and fur, two of Mary's favorites.10 of 22
11. Whoa, MJB is fiery in her red hair and a matching red leather ensemble.11 of 22
12. The Queen of Hip Hop/Soul right before she sang the National Anthem on Thanksgiving at the Oakland Raiders vs. Dallas Cowboys in 2013.12 of 22
13. The bold red lip was a nice pop of color to her otherwise all nude ensemble.13 of 22
14. Mary J. and her hubby Kendu Isaacs pose on the red carpet.14 of 22
15. All black everything with a dash of Hermes, Mary's doing what she does best: singing15 of 22
16. Fresh faced, Mary is naturally a beauty.16 of 22
17. Ooo kill 'em! The "No More Drama" singer gets seductive in an all black body hugging number accented with sexy slits.17 of 22
18. Such cute leather gloves.18 of 22
19. Mary had some dope accessories, peep the fly hat.19 of 22
20. Pink is such a great color for her.20 of 22
21. MJB shows some cleavage in a laced up denim top.21 of 22
22. Mary shows off some leg, nice thigh tattoo.22 of 22
COOL ASS COVERS: Listen To Lauryn Hill’s Cover Of Nina Simone’s “Feeling Good” was originally published on globalgrind.com