President Donald Trump‘s racist resentment toward Black and brown people was undeniable during his first State of the Union address Tuesday night. Sandwiched between spouting his familiar refrain of “America first” and pretending to reach across the aisle to Democrats, Trump launched a steady barrage of subliminal darts aimed at people with a darker skin hue.
Of the Democrats who did show up — many boycotted — the ones who stood out the most were the Congressional Black Caucus (CBC) members, who were draped in Kente cloth, presumably to protest Trump’s supposedly alleged comments where he preferred to African nations as “shithole countries.”
In just about an hour and 20 minutes, Trump managed to take a pot shot at Colin Kaepernick and all of the people who protest racism and police brutality, falsely take credit for low Black unemployment, painted a picture of immigrants with a very broad, Black brush, scapegoated Black folks for the opioid crisis, continued to embellish about the Black homeownership rate and slighted the only Black and brown special guests.
While he explained “why we stand for the national anthem,” he failed to mention that he just so happened to inherit a thriving economy with momentum created by President Barack Obama, another of Trump’s preferred targets of color.
But it may have been the topics of immigration and drugs when Trump took his racial profiling to the next level.
First, he used Black and brown families whose daughters were killed by the MS-13 gang to demonstrate a nonexistent correlation to violent immigrants, something that could potentially serve as a way to divide and not unite families of color.
Perhaps even worse, Trump “implied that Dreamers are gang members,” Van Jones said on CNN afterward, referring to Trump’s comment that :”Americans are dreamers, too.”
Never mind the fact that we are fresh off the deadliest mass shooting in modern American history, courtesy of a White, American born terrorist.
Then he declared that “we must get much tougher on drug dealers and pushers if we are going to succeed in stopping this scourge,” as if the opioid epidemic hasn’t been fueled by many White doctors writing bogus prescriptions as a means to enrich themselves at the expense of getting patients hooked on pills. Meanwhile, big pharma gets a tax break.
Lastly, for the conspiracy theorists out there, it couldn’t be ignored how Trump implored (ordered?) his Black and brown special guests to get up after he introduced them. By contrast, the same wasn’t true for his White special guests. And Twitter noticed.
Happy Presidents' Day! 44 Photos To Make You Miss Obama
1. Barack Gives Daughter Malia a KissSource:Getty 1 of 42
2. Michelle and Barack tell the kids a storySource:Getty 2 of 42
3. Michelle and Barack KissSource:Getty 3 of 42
4. Michelle and BarackSource:Getty 4 of 42
5. First Family PortraitSource:Getty 5 of 42
6. Two TermsSource:Getty 6 of 42
7. Michelle and Barack host a State DinnerSource:Getty 7 of 42
8. Barack Obama and Michelle ObamaSource:Getty 8 of 42
9. The Obamas on Air Force OneSource:Getty 9 of 42
10. The First Family in LondonSource:Getty 10 of 42
11. First Lady Michelle Obama with daughters Malia Obama and Sasha ObamaSource:Getty 11 of 42
12. Sasha and Malia Obama at the 2016 State DinnerSource:Getty 12 of 42
13. Turkey PardoningSource:Getty 13 of 42
14. Sunday ChurchSource:Getty 14 of 42
15. Gobble, GobbleSource:Getty 15 of 42
16. Malia Obama, the First DaughterSource:Getty 16 of 42
17. Barack Obama and his daughter Malia ObamaSource:Getty 17 of 42
18. A Family AffairSource:Getty 18 of 42
19. Flashback To The Old DaysSource:Pete Souza 19 of 42
20. Happy Birthday!Source:Getty 20 of 42
21. Candidly AwesomeSource:Pete Souza 21 of 42
22. Historic First FamilySource:Getty 22 of 42
23. Ice Cream TreatSource:Getty 23 of 42
24. TV TimeSource:Pete Souza 24 of 42
25. Always Giving BackSource:Getty 25 of 42
26. A Christmas StorySource:Getty 26 of 42
27. Hawaii Trip!Source:Getty 27 of 42
28. Obama Loves Team USA & His WifeSource:Getty 28 of 42
29. Malia and Sasha ObamaSource:Getty 29 of 42
30. Michelle Plays on a BikeSource:Getty 30 of 42
31. Obama Loves Team USA, His Wife & MaliaSource:Getty 31 of 42
32. Reading TimeSource:Pete Souza 32 of 42
33. Family SupportSource:Getty 33 of 42
34. The Sister SelfieSource:Pete Souza 34 of 42
35. Supporting MomSource:Pete Souza 35 of 42
36. Giving Back On MLK DaySource:Getty 36 of 42
37. Obamas Give Back To The CommunitySource:Getty 37 of 42
38. Always Supporting Small BusinessesSource:Getty 38 of 42
39. Obama SwaggerSource:Getty 39 of 42
40. Laughs & TurkeysSource:Getty 40 of 42
41. Christmas With The ObamasSource:Getty 41 of 42
42. 50th Anniversary Of March On SelmaSource:Pete Souza 42 of 42
All Of The Subliminal Digs Trump Took At Black And Brown Folks During The State Of The Union was originally published on newsone.com